Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to find some text

Lost Text Word pdf

• Please log in to reply

scubatony1

scubatony1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi People

I have several documents scanned into my machine,just under 1gb's worth.

Here is my problem I am looking for a particular phrase (the phrase is "Brand Awareness") contained within the text of the document, the things is I can't remember if it is a Word or pdf. document.
I do remember when I saw that phrase I typed it into a word document ( just the two words ) now when I do a search all it throws up is this particular word document.

I can't even remember anything else in the document or even what the document was about, but I know realise that I should have saved this document in a special place.

I expect everybody to jump on me and shout what an idiot, yeah, yeah, OK I admit it.

What I am asking for does anybody know how I can extract this information from my HDD, before I go to B & Q and buy a BIG hammer ?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

If it's PDF then Google returns some possibilities: search for data in pdf files

The first hit is for this: Foxit PDF IFilter

It has a 30 day free trial.

For text/doc/docx files, Agent Ransack is a good choice.

scubatony1

scubatony1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

For text/doc/docx files, Agent Ransack is a good choice.

This software really is good it has found my document, it took over an hour to scan my 2tb HDD but it returned all the results.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Glad to hear it, thanks for letting me know.