Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my current system!

• Please log in to reply

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Hi everyone,

I play to upgrade my current system to get more power, especially for games:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
GPU: Club 3D HD5770 1GB RAM
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3
Hard drive: WD5000AAKS (500 GB)
Main memory: OCZ OCZ3G1333LV4GK (4GB)
Power adapter: Be quiet! BQT E7-500W
DVD burner: LG GH-22NS40
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
Fan: Xigmatek XLF-F1253 LED
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3

Do you have any suggestions for me? I'm up to spend around 500€. If it's worth, I could spend more.

Xeni :wave:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Xeni,

Your budget is a limiting factor so upgrading certain items now and others in the future is worth considering, if you were to upgrade your MB now for example you may also need to purchase a new OS  and product key, this would depend on whether you are presently using an OEM licence, can you tell us what OS you are using including if it is 32 or 64-bit.

Upgrades that I would suggest;

New video card.

New PSU

Memory upgrade (depending on the OS, if it is 64-bit, upgrade to 2 X 4GB sticks of 1600MHz Ram).

Additional case cooling fans, we can look at this aspect when you decide on which way you wish to proceed.

Can I ask if you store a lot of data, this so we can look at your present and long term requirements.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

New video card.

New PSU

Memory upgrade (depending on the OS, if it is 64-bit, upgrade to 2 X 4GB sticks of 1600MHz Ram).

Additional case cooling fans, we can look at this aspect when you decide on which way you wish to proceed.

Sounds good! That's what I want to do. This gives me the possibility to upgrade my MB and CPU at a later date.

Do you have any suggestions for the items mentioned above?

No, I don't have to store much data. I'm just using my computer for browsing and gaming. I got a few pictures, but I store them on an external hard drive.

Edited by Xeni, 18 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome Xeni  :)

I can make some suggestions and if you let us know in which country you will be purchasing the upgrades we may be able to locate them local to where you live.

Good call on leaving the MB and CPU for now  :thumbsup:

Do you have a Windows 7 disk, I ask this because what I propose is that you include an SSD in your upgrade if the 500€ will allow it, you could then either do a fresh installation of Windows 7 on the SSD for faster boot times, alternatively most quality SSD brands provide migration software that you can use instead.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

I live in Germany(that's why some of my sentences could sound a bit weird :D). Do you prefer to order the items online or at some local shops?

Do you have a Windows 7 disk, I ask this because what I propose is that you include an SSD in your upgrade if the 500€ will allow it, you could then either do a fresh installation of Windows 7 on the SSD for faster boot times, alternatively most quality SSD brands provide migration software that you can use instead.

The Windows 7 disk is available and working! :spoton:

I was thinking about purchasing a SSD as well. It's possible to run a SSD and a normal hard drive simultanously, right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Xeni list of parts here let us know what you think.

OS disk  :thumbsup:

OS on the SSD and data only stored on the 500GB HDD will work nicely  :)

Can I ask if you have added any more cooling fans since you purchased your case, we can add some to your parts list when we know what you presently have.

To confirm the best spec of Ram;

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/?click=true let us know what is suggested 

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
CT4166769 - 16GB kit (4GBx4) DDR3 PC3-14900 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64

That's what Crucial recommends.

I got one fan on the front side on the bottom which blows air into the case. Another one on the back side on the top which blows the air out of the case. And a third one, the CPU cooler.

Your suggestions look good!
One question: Are there any differences between (for example) Zotac Geforce GTX 760 and Asus Geforce GTX 760?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Apologies for the delay Xeni  :(

Ram that is any faster than 1333MHz needs to be overclocked and pushing it to the 1866MHz Ram suggested by Crucial may make your system unstable, it will also cost you more so stick with the 1600MHz Ram that I suggested.

I would opt for the ASUS brand over the Zotac as it has a proven track record.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

No problem! :wave:

So you would suggest ASUS over Gigabyte as well?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
So you would suggest ASUS over Gigabyte as well?

Depends on the circumstances and in this instance no as the Gigabyte card I suggested is better than the ASUS version, Asus Geforce GTX 760 specs here the Gigabyte version is also less expensive here.

Advertisements

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Ok, I guess I will order your recommended items in the near future. I might need help with setting up the SSD and HDD, I'll come back if I have any questions.

I really appreciate your help thus far phil! Thank you! :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are most welcome and please ask any questions that you may have along the way.

It would be a good idea to download any user manuals for the upgrades so you are familiar with the installation/set up beforehand.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Hey Phil! :wave:

I got the time to order the items. Would you still recommend the same items?

And I got a problem: Your link doesn't work anymore, could you update it? I'm sorry that I didn't save it :(

Edited by Xeni, 03 August 2014 - 01:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello again Xeni,

Unfortunately the parts list has been deleted as I thought you were done with it  :(

Can you run it by me again what items you decided on for upgrading and what the cost was of the previous list,I will then see if any prices have dropped.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Unfortunately the parts list has been deleted as I thought you were done with it  xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Isn't your fault, I failed to save the items.. :(

We decided to upgrade the RAM, GPU, PSU and to get a SSD. But I can't remember the exact models..

The list costs a bit less than 500€.

Edited by Xeni, 03 August 2014 - 01:27 PM.