Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my current system!

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

That wasn't too painful, Xeni list of parts

Advertisements

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Thank you very much! :)

I appreciate your work so much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

You are most welcome Xeni and thank you for your kind words  :)

Any further questions along the way please let me know  :thumbsup:

I promise to leave the parts list until you have completed the upgrade  ;) 

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Ill order the items at the weekend, will let you know when they arrive ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

:thumbsup:

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Hey Phil :wave: 

Due to family circumstances I was able to order the items no more than a day ago, cause I need someone to be at home when they arrive and I am working most of the time...

But I finally got it :spoton:

Could you help me with setting up the SSD and HD simultaniously? The items will arrive next week, but I would appriciate it to know what I will have to do when I will get them in hands.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

No worries  :thumbsup:

Unless you are planning a Raid set up the procedure is straightforward, you install the parts making sure that the SSD and HDD are connected to the correct SATA ports (SSD to 6GBs SATA port 0 or 1 is often best) install Windows to the SSD, install the MBs drivers and you are done.

Please note that Windows will automatically allocate the device with the OS on it the drive letter C:, make a note of the drive letter allocated to any mechanical HDD/s and remember to save your future personal data to that/them, the SSD is only for the OS and possibly your most used program or game, this will ensure that you have enough room for any future security updates for the current OS which is intended to be Windows 7.

As ever drop us a line here if you have any further questions along the way.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

make a note of the drive letter allocated to any mechanical HDD/s

Could you explain this a bit, please?

And just to be sure, is this the correct(or best) order to build in the items?

Graphic card out
Memory out
PSU out
PSU in
SSD in
Memory in
Graphic card in

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

The SSD will be C: and the HDD possibly F: meaning that you should save future personal data to the F: drive (F: is only an example)

How I would do it and not set in stone;

PSU out to get the cables out of the way while you work, please make a note of what connections go to where first.

Graphic card out, it will give you more room to work.

SSD in.

Memory out.

Memory in.

PSU in and connected to the MBs main power, ATX power, SSD, HDD and optical drive/s etc.

Graphics card in.

Double check all connections are correct and secure and then test.

Please make sure that you disconnect the mains power before starting, that you ground yourself before reaching inside the case (touch a bare metal part of the case or PSU, touch the case regularly whilst you are reassembling)

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
The SSD will be C: and the HDD possibly F: meaning that you should save future personal data to the F: drive (F: is only an example)

I don't understand it...my current HDD is C:. If I build in the SDD, it will be the new C:. And my HDD will be another letter. How should I save my data? Respectively, why will(or could) I loose my data?
Feeling a bit stupid at the moment...I'm just a hardware noob :D

How I would do it and not set in stone;

Sounds good, I guess I will do that this way.

Would it be a good idea to disconnect the HDD and to connect it after installing windows on the SSD?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

No need to feel stupid, you are training to fight malware while I prefer to repair or build hardware  ;) 

You will not lose any personal data, see below. 

Would it be a good idea to disconnect the HDD and to connect it after installing windows on the SSD?

You have asked a very good question and if you recall from my reply #22 the following;

Unless you are planning a Raid set up the procedure is straightforward, you install the parts making sure that the SSD and HDD are connected to the correct SATA ports (SSD to 6GBs SATA port 0 or 1 is often best) install Windows to the SSD, install the MBs drivers and you are done.

The reason that I suggested connecting the SSD to SATA port 0 or 1 is because SATA port 3 on many MBs is not suitable/cannot be booted from, connecting the present HDD to SATA port 3 after you have installed Windows to the SSD connected to SATA port 0/1 or 2 would ensure that Windows identified the SSD as the boot (C:) drive and the present HDD as a data only storage device, hopefully that explains it a little better.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

The reason that I suggested connecting the SSD to SATA port 0 or 1 is because SATA port 3 on many MBs is not suitable/cannot be booted from, connecting the present HDD to SATA port 3 after you have installed Windows to the SSD connected to SATA port 0/1 or 2 would ensure that Windows identified the SSD as the boot (C:) drive and the present HDD as a data only storage device, hopefully that explains it a little better.

I got it :spoton:

So, I'll connect my SSD to SATA port 0 or 1 and install Windows. Then I connect my HDD to SATA port 3 and everything should be fine.

Another question:
After this step, the old Windows installation will still be on my HDD. I will be able to simply drag and drop my personal files to the SSD(I don't have much data, should be enough place) and then format the HDD with the Windows CD, correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Correct  :thumbsup:

Again correct but remember the idea is to only have the OS + your most frequently used program/game on the SSD so that 1: you have faster boot up times. 2: you have enough free storage space for any future OS updates, back the data off the HDD to disk, USB thumb drive/s or Cloud etc and then format the HDD if you wish, personally I would leave the HDD as it is as you will have a back up of the OS available should you ever have problems with the OS on the SSD, alternatively you could use software to migrate the data from the HDD to the SSD, an example of such software here you need to ensure that the capacity of the SSD has adequate storage space for your data + leave enough free storage space for file swapping etc, example, a 128GB SSD would allow for 96GB of data to be migrated from the HDD and still leave 25% (32GB) of the SSDs overall storage capacity available to allow for file swapping/clean data transfer.

Xeni

Xeni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Ok, thank you for everything Phil!

You are doing a great job here :spoton:

I'll let you know if everything went right when I got my items.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

You are welcome Xeni  :)

Aye keep us posted and any further questions let us know  :thumbsup: