Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 full recovery

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

After consultation, this is the advice from other Tech staff.

Do not use a different driver disc from another model of a dell computer or laptop.

Please read and print the instruction, How to reinstall drivers in the correct order here

After installing the OS and updates.

Please check this is the correct model, Dell drivers from here

See what results you get from clicking System Analysis. 

It may be possible to use your Dell disc, but you will need to ensure it has W7 driver support.

Edit.

I have been advised that drivers be downloaded and burned to media before starting the OS installation, as a common problem can be no internet connection. 

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, will start d/loading the drivers to usb stick.  another question, once I start installing the drivers.  can I restart my pc after installing all the drivers? or, is it better to  restart right after installing them individually?

thank you

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I would restart after each individual driver to make sure it was successful, 

what results did you get from clicking System Analysis?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, there's a problem in d/loading drivers from dell.  I went to the service page for my desktop model (inspiron 518) and all the available drivers for d/load are for vista 32/64, not for w7.  as for the analysis, did you want me to run that before or after the complete installation? I was waiting to d/load the drivers, as suggested by you, before starting installation.  I did ran the analysis just in case and got this message "Analysis has not found any update(s) that are needed for your system". 

thank you

Edited by rigs, 28 June 2014 - 07:46 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You did right to run the Analysis now, Up till now we have been looking at the G500 where there were W7 drivers.  Are you sure you have the right model number.

Please do not start a install of the OS until we sort this out.   The Dell site is showing a "Service not available at the Moment" so I will have to get back to you later. 

Possible page for help, > http://dellwindowsre...r-installation/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The Dell site only shows Vista drivers. I am sure thats what you were running.

I would install them 1 at a time to see if they take.

We can always find manufacturer drivers for those in question.

The driver guru shows the chipset driver compatible with windows 7

Driver Guru

This is the same one as Dell has.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

yes, it is an inspiron 518.  I entered my service tag number and all my pc's info and available files come up.  I do have the driver and utilities disc that came with my pc.  so, I don't know if it installs all the drivers at once or I should try to d/load them from dell.com.  what I don't understand is why w7 has been running, with some vista programs, for the last 4-5 years and now that I want to do a complete reinstallation the same drivers are incompatible.  It's frustrating that something so simple, it's so complicated.  so, do I install or not yet?

thank you

Edited by rigs, 29 June 2014 - 12:29 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

123Runner Thanks for your input, will look into that driver.

Rigs.   Please have a look in Device Manager.   From this page, Driver Guru Can you determine which version of the Intel Chipset is installed?  

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I didn’t know if you wanted me to run the program you listed.  So, just looked in device manager.   There are two lines, under system devices, with the word chipset.  They both start with:  intel® G33/ G31/ P35/ P31 Express Chipset.  Is this  the main info that you’re requesting? Or do you want me to write the rest of each line?  

Thank you

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes please, We need to know the Driver version. 

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, installed and ran about 12.  I keep gettin an error message, "network timeout.  please check your internet connections".  this is one of the reasons why I need to reinstall w7.  about 80% of my prgrams and some windows utilities don't work.  I used a system cleaner and I must of check the wrong box.  is there another program that I can try?

thank you

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think we may have got a misunderstand here.

I just wanted, from device manager, the driver version form the 2 Intel chipsets, not to run any installer.

ok, installed and ran about 12.

What did you install?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I thought that you wanted me to install and run the guru link you posted.  my bad.....

ok, is this the info requested?

intel® G33/ G31/ P35/ P31 Express Chipset pci express root port -29c1

intel® G33/ G31/ P35/ P31 Express Chipset processor to I/O controller -29C0

if not, can you tell me where in device manager can be found.

thank you

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No, me the bad one, not being clear.

Best if you do a screen shot as in the image please, 

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip