Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a PC for gaming (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Tajition

Tajition

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I was looking at this configuration. 

Big question is: is the videocard good enough? Slightly more expensive than the AMD counter part(Sapphire R9 r280x). But i read that AMD often comes with faulty hardware, especially this one, so i decided to play safe and go with nvidia. Was thinking to go with 750Ti at first but thought it wasn't enough for high end gaming. 

Also would anyone recommend a better case? 

Will definitely will keep the SSD and HDD. Thinking an i7 isn't necessary as it is a lot more expensive. Motherboard and ram seem to be solid but are open to suggestions. 

P.S: want to keep the budget in the 1500$ range. 

Advertisements

TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Hi,

I have the same processor and believe me it is perfect for gaming. At the other side, I have Nvidia GTX760 and it is quite good, I will replace it for GTX870 as soon as Nvidia release it later this year.

GTX770 is by all means good enough, the beast :)

i7 isn't necessary, because you won't stand a chance to exploit its full potential. It is designed for Video editing and more intensive tasks. i5 is more than enough for Gaming.

About mobo: I do not have good opinion for MSI, it will be better to purchase Gigabyte or ASUS. They are better in quality. SSD is must have, I have exact model, and there are no words to explain how good SSD is.

Case looks pretty basic, I can recommend CM Storm Scout --> http://www.coolermas...product_id=2912  or something similar. Perfect for gaming.

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to answer :)

Tajition

Tajition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Tnx for quick reply.

Will definitely change the case to CM Storm Scout. Any idea when 800 series is gonna be released? I will build this PC sometime in August - September. If its not much longer might as well wait it out and get 860 or 870 then. 

Oh and what is the motherboard you use?

TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I have this one

http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4594#ov

Rumors say that Nvidia will release 800 series in November-December probably. I think it is worth waiting :)

Tajition

Tajition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Tnx. Will this support DDR3 1866 ram?

Edit: nvm it does. 

Edited by Tajition, 21 June 2014 - 09:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Excuse the interjection folks  :)

Tajition, are you aware that using a third party HS and cooling fan will void your 3 year Intel CPU warranty;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available here

Regarding the MB, you should choose a board that has future upgrade potential such as supporting both 4th and 5th generation Intel CPUs and Sli capabilities in case you want to add a second Nvidea GPU further down the road, not likely with such a powerful video card but it makes more sense than purchasing a MB that supports AMD Crossfire but not Nvidea Sli, a MB for your consideration here

Tajition

Tajition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Oh hey Phill,

Would you recommend using the default cooler that comes with the CPU then? Is it good enough for gaming? I plan to game with 1080 high-ultra setting on games. 

As for adding a second video card, i might consider adding it along the way sometime in the future. Also if that were the case would you recommend getting a more powerful power block?

So how does this look now then? The video card will be 800 series either 870 or 860 when it comes out. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wWKLwP

P.S: I am a total when it comes to hardware. haha

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Tajition,

The stock cooler will be fine unless you plan on extreme overclocking, if that is the case you would most likely end up voiding the warranty in any event so a third party cooler would make more sense.

The power requirements of the 800 series cards is not yet known so I cannot give you a definitive answer, what I can say is that I cannot see it being much different than the 780 or Titan which is commonly 600W with 42 amps on the +12V rail, the selected Corsair PSU is a good unit and worth the present cost but I feel that you should be looking at a PSU with a 5 year warranty.

Your list is coming on but just to throw a spanner in the works I would swap the case for the Antec 900, I have one and can vouch for its build quality and cooling performance.

Tajition

Tajition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

This case actually look really good with all the fans. I live in FL, so those might come in handy haha, 

What 5 warranty PSU would you recommend? 

TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I have Intel i5-4670k and I bought Noctua NH-D14, because I play some games not optimized for 4 core processor and temperatures can go up to 70. I wanted to save my CPU lifetime. So you want to say that warranty is voided?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Intels terms not mine;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available here

The only time that you should use a third party cooler is when the CPU concerned is an OEM item, these type of processors are not shipped with a stock Intel or AMD HS and cooling fan, the warranty for the CPU is not provided by Intel/AMD but the merchant that sells you the CPU, these warranties are typically only for one year but can sometimes be as short as 90 days.

10 year warranty PSU here

TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

You can consider Seasonic too. Perfect PSU, has 5 year warranty, but it will last forever. Quiet and cool, perfect design. I have Seasonic SS-520gb, and if you're not planning to OC, you can buy this model. For overclocking SS-620GB/M should be enough...

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Twin's specs are very close to mine. However, since I do video editing. I run with an i7. I cannot say to how good the 800 series is, or will be. I can say however, the 760 is a good card. I use it personally, and it performs on Ultra settings at 60FPS which is capped since my monitor only displays 60Hz.

Good Luck!

TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

800 series will be amazing I think. Low power consumption and better performance :)

Ideal for me, I will migrate from GTX760 to GTX870 without having to buy better PSU.

Tajition

Tajition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Tnx for all the advice guys! 

I will post more when I actually build the rig :)

Edit: Also apparently the new 800 series will perform better for lower price and power, since its based on the maxwell architecture like the 750Ti. (At least what i read from news haha)

Edited by Tajition, 23 June 2014 - 04:53 AM.