Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Malfunction (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Technophobe2

Technophobe2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

I am using a Samsung netbook. I have had it for about 2 years without problems.

Recently I have been having problems with the system halting. It happens about twice a day and I have to switch off and switch on again.

This is the screen I get

netbookerrorscreen.jpg

Any ideas what is causing this and what I can do to stop it?

Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello Technophobe2

The Ram could be faulty but removing and then reseating it could resolve the issue, can you tell us the exact model of netbook so we can do some research on it.

Technophobe2

Technophobe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello Technophobe2

The Ram could be faulty but removing and then reseating it could resolve the issue, can you tell us the exact model of netbook so we can do some research on it.

It is a Samsung N130 running Windows XP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Refer to the user manual here to help you with removing and replacing the Ram, you should also consider using canned compressed air to blow out any internal dust build up, an example guide here to help with this.

Technophobe2

Technophobe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Refer to the user manual here to help you with removing and replacing the Ram, you should also consider using canned compressed air to blow out any internal dust build up, an example guide here to help with this.

Thank you for that.

I will look at these two links although I am not sure I am up to replacing ram or even where I would get it (I live in Spain and am semi-housebound). Maybe I will try and find someone here who can do it for me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

What ever you decide upon good luck and we will be here should you have any further questions.

NB: Removing and replacing the Ram, we never suggest that anything is easy because what may be straightforward to one person may appear difficult to another, we try and help out as best we can with our guidance and by providing tutorials and manuals where we can.

You are welcome btw  :)

Technophobe2

Technophobe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I did have a look at what is involved in replacing the RAM. It is much easier than I expected. When you are non-technical it is more the fear of doing something wrong than not being able to do it.

I have ordered a replacement RAM online and when it arrives I now feel confident I can change it.

Meanwhile I have been trying to buy an air duster but the computer shop in our local town is closed for a few days due to fiesta. I will keep trying and then will clean out the vents.

I have also found at the back of a cupboard an old laptop cooler that we used years ago when we had an overheating laptop. It is the kind with mini fans in it. I have plugged this in to help keep the netbook cooler.

I will come back and let you know the outcome after I have changed the RAM and cleaned the vents.

I am so grateful for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello Technophobe2,

Apologies but we appear to have crossed wires as what I meant by removing and replacing your Ram was to remove and then replace the present Ram back into the slot/s, this because over time it is possible for the contacts on the Ram to become contaminated by dust etc and this can result in the circuit between the Ram and the motherboard slot to be lost, removing and replacing the Ram will often clear the contacts enough for the circuit to be reestablished, you can still check this and if it works you can return the Ram that you have ordered with the packaging unopened, there is a chance that the present Ram has failed and would need replacing in any event but at least you will know beforehand by doing the check suggested.

Once again my apologies for any misunderstanding :(     

Technophobe2

Technophobe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Just to give you an update.

Taking out the RAM and putting it back did not help so when the new RAM that I bought online arrived I inserted that.

That means I have now

1. cleaned the vents with an air duster

2. put the netbook on a cooler with fans.

3. replaced the RAM.

I hate to tempt fate but it has now been running for 3 days without crashing.

Hopefully, thanks to your help, I have solved the problem

Edited by Technophobe2, 01 July 2014 - 10:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Great news and a job well done on your behalf Technophobe2  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw and thank you for the follow up  :)