Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 PC's on Network and 1 can't connect to internet - Ethernet A

networking lightning ethernet

• Please log in to reply

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Dear Geeks

Apologies in advance for being techno-dunce!  I really need your help, but might not understand what you tell me - gah.

I've had 2 PC's connected to the internet via ethernet cables into an ADSL router for a few years.  About 2 months ago a lightning strike  knocked out our router - it was completely dead.  Our ISP sent us a new one which is an updated model and different from our old one.

It worked fine when it was first installed but within days my PC (I'll call it PC1) started getting intermittent losses of connection. 

The router shows a light for each PC's ethernet cable connection and it wasn't showing a light for mine (partner's PC2 showing light and working normally).  Sometimes I could re-start either the PC or the router and it would connect again, sometimes it wouldn't.  Once it came on by itself after a few hours and worked again for a few days.

I've tried 3 ethernet cables, it's definitely not them.

The ISP said it was my PC's adapter card (it's a broadcom 1 gigabit ethernet card) and I should buy a new one.  I bought an intel 1gb card but haven't fitted it yet (don't know how ha ha).  They say there is nothing wrong with the router.

Anyhoo, for a few days our internet connection has been fine.  Yesterday both PC's lost their connection to the internet and I reset the router and PC2 came back on and has worked ever since but PC1 is still not connecting.  It's also given various error messages, like no network address or ethernet cable is unplugged (it isn't unplugged and the light on the router is lit for both PC's cable). 

I've tried the usual things, re-setting router again, re-starting PC, checked cables are secure, etc etc.  Device manager showing nothing amiss.  Broadcom's own diagnostic software sometimes shows a red cross through my adapter and sometimes not.

One more thing, I may have changed some settings whilst trying to get a connection.  I noticed that my network was set to "public" in windows networking and sharing centre when I'm certain it used to be Home or Work - I didn't change that but maybe I've changed something else which has caused that to change.  Ugh, I'm lost....

Is there a way to tell if it's the router at fault or my network card or something else?

Device manager has said my network card is working properly the whole time (if that's worth anything).

I've also installed the most recent driver for the Broadcom card.  Also have tried uninstalling and re-installing (via properties, not physically - I believe this card is soldered to the motherboard?)

Btw, I'm writing this on PC2, and my partner is out.  If I don't reply quickly it's likely that he's hogging the PC.  :(

Sorry this is a bit long and rambly, I hope you can understand my untechy version of events.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

OK, so after posting this and realising it's very early in the morning in the USofA and most geeks will be fast asleep,  I calmed down and had a nose around my old posts and found that I'd had a very similar problem in 2010 (who knew?).

http://www.geekstogo...g/#entry1923925

I did the things i'd done in the 2010 thread (netsh int ip reset resetlog and winsock thingy) and no joy.  Then I followed a vid on YouTube to mess with my network adapter settings (changing the IP address and using Google's DNS server address and whatnot).  None of this made any difference at all.

So I bit the bullet and with the help of Johnson Yip's video on YouTube I installed my new intel 1gb ethernet card and I'm now connected - yay me!

It was super easy.  The hardest thing was getting rid of all the dust in the PC case.  Soon as the PC was turned back on the internets was MINE!!

I'm updating this in case anyone else has the same problem and finds it helpful.

:)

Edited by dontcensorme, 22 June 2014 - 08:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting how you resolved the issue dontcensorme  :thumbsup: