Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! BSOD - Error System Thread Exception Not Handled

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Got a BSOD yesturday while watching a youtube video. Done some searching and came to the conclusion it could be due to GPU drivers so uninstalled and installed latest ones form their website. Today it happened again while watching a video again. Not sure if it is just coincidenace that it happenes while watching youtube videos.

The error I got was "System Thread Exception Not Handled" and the computer restarts.

How do I find out what is causing this and can anybody help?

System is;

CPU - AMD FX-6300

GPU - Asus Radeon R9 270X                                     

RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

PSU - Corsair CXM 600W

MOBO - Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 

HD - WD Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA

Optical drive - Samsung SH-224DB

OS - Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

zip the minidumps in c:\windows\minidump then upload the zip file here. Will see what windbg has to say.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Thanks Ztrucker, 

Also, I did a memory test using Memtest, took 5 hours and it ran the tests four times, all passed with no errors.

Here's the dump file;

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Both dumps point to atikmdag.sys as the cause.

Update your Asus Radeon R9 270X to the latest driver available, that should fix it. If you have already done this then reoll it back to a previous level via Device Manager.

I think this is the right site for the 64 bit driver: AMD Catalyst Drivers

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Hay Ztrucker, that is the site I already used becuase that is what I thought becuase I used the CD that came with the GPU to install the driver, I know I should not have now becuase usually they are out of date, apparently, but didn't know at the time. Anyway, I uninstalled the drivers and installed the ones in your link but it happened again, a few hours after when attempting to watch a video, that was the 2nd crash. However, becuase I have a ASUS mobo, AMD CPU and a ASUS GPU and the CD installed a lot of crap/apps, I got confused to what I should uninstall and what I should not and also in the link you posted it said to delete the empty files left behind after the uninsatll but I could not fine them using the path they mentioned so went ahead and installed.

Should I unstall again and install the latest drivers? Might need to ask about some files left behind if they are OK to delete.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try the beta driver further down on the same page.

I don't know anything about deleting empty files, sorry.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

No problem, I will uninstall and download the beta drivers. I will report back if it happens again. At least I know what is causing it. Thanks for your help.