Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COMPUTER WON'T STAY ON!

• Please log in to reply

yglynn

yglynn

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I am running a windows 7. My computer is fine and when it comes to issues with spyware, viruses and even software problems i normally can fix them myself. I have never seen anything like this though. Friday I was chilling with my boys and we wanted to hook my computer up to my HDTV. Now i've done this many of times before just to watch videos when i didn't have dvds to burn them. So it is not my first time doing this. So i unhook the VGA cable from the computer lcd screen and plug it into the HDTV's RGB component, as i normally do. When i did this for some reason my computer went wacky and a lot of distorted colors appeared on the screen. I immediately unplugged it from my tv to hook it back up to my computer monitor and it showed the same thing! So i thought to myself, a restart will likely fix the problem. I restarted it and my computer wouldn't boot i just heard long beeps.

I then unplugged everything keyboard, wireless mouse connection, power supply, VGA cord, ethernet cord etc. Then i hooked it back up and it seem to appear normal. I started it up and it suddenly cut off after 3-4 hours of it running. So i disconnected everything and restarted the pc in safe mode. This worked for around 30 mins and restarted. Now it's just unpredictable, it can be up for 1-2 hours or as a little as 20-30 mins before randomly shutting off. 

I have come to the conclusion that perhaps my RAM is fried or maybe the tv somehow short circuited my motherboard. My TV still works perfectly on the other hand...

Can anyone help? Anyone experience this type of issue? I've already ordered a new computer to replace this but still would like to fix it just to have another computer.

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi there,

This actually sounds to me like overheating, especially as after the initial shutdown it lasted for less time on the next boot.

I would start by checking the internal fan to see if it has collected lots of dust as they tend to over time.

This could have been cause of the initial problem.

Worth a check first, at the very least to eliminate the problem.

yglynn

yglynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Will do. i just find it odd to be a sudden over heating problem just because i connected by pc to the tv...i did open my pc and found some caked up dust on the fans so i will be getting a can of compressed air to clean it out to see if i get better results. 

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

I know what you mean, but it could have just been a coincidence that at that moment it decided to overheat. But if it is caked in dust then its a good start before looking for other problems that may not exist.

yglynn

yglynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

My computer has shut down once on me since cleaning it. This is the 2nd reboot right now and i have the tower case open to see if that helps with the temperature. I've found a neat program that tell you your computer's temperature. I'm not familiar with cpu temps so please let me know what is too high.

Attached Thumbnails

• fixme.jpg

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
The maximum temperature for that processor is 73.3C (should normally run lower) and it is currently running at 78C.

It might be worth obtaining some good thermal paste if you don't have any and reapplying that between the cpu and the heatsink. It has probably broken down and not providing a good contact.

yglynn

yglynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yeah it definitely has to be overheating then. It was running earlier today around 79-85C. I will take your advice and get some thermal paste or a thermal pad. It was definitely dried up and broken down which is probably causing the overheating. Thanks for the help, i will let you know how it goes once i buy the thermal!

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Cheers and good luck :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hope you don't mind the interjection folks  :)

Couple of observations, the +12V rail reading is out of wack in the HWMonitor screenshot and the following from reply #7 "It was definitely dried up and broken down which is probably causing the overheating. " which suggests that the heatsink and CPU cooling fan may have been removed at some point, is that correct.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

​Can you also tell us the brand and model name or number of the power supply and confirm whether or not you are using an add on video card or the MBs integrated video chip.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Hope you don't mind the interjection folks  

Of course not,  Happy to bow out and let you take the reigns :D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hope you don't mind the interjection folks  

Of course not,  Happy to bow out and let you take the reigns :D

I was only offering some additional input ruggie and in no way trying to muscle in  :D

yglynn

yglynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Okay, so i took ruggie_uk's advice and applied some thermal paste between the heatsink and the processor. Before doing so i noticed the current thermal was already completely worn out. After I did this i've been receiving temps between 53C - 70C. When watching some videos and having adobe audition opened it did get hot again, around 78C but it went down as well. I've had my compute running since 6PM yesterday and fell asleep forgetting it was on. To my pleasure this morning it was still on and running cool around 53C. So I may of just fixed it! 

Attached Thumbnails

• fixed.jpg

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Well done :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I will be most pleased for you if the issue is resolved but I would suggest that you keep an eye on the temps and voltages, see attachment below for accepted PSU tolerances for guidance;

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Sense this topic seems to be solved, I would like to ask phillpower about the voltages in speed fan. This is the way I learn?

If I need to open a new topic, please advise.

PS I think it's just great when members work together to help members with issues. :yeah:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM.