Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Adapter Not Found after System restore point executed (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Sunny7

Sunny7

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

The situation which occurred is this:

Laptop inadvertently got turned off while system was trying to close all applications and shut down. Windows would not start normally, so system went into start up repair. After running awhile, it asked to go back to last restore point (about a week prior) which I accepted. Windows then restarted, but my network adapter is not found.

A few things I notice: Devices and printers finds NOTHING (no printers - I had 2 installed).

Device Manager lists the network adapters and says they are working properly.

Intel WiFi Link 1000Bgn

Realtek PCIeFE Family Controller

My guess is that my drivers got screwed up and I don't know how to restore them properly (can't connect to the Internet).

I do have a backup of almost every file and folder on my computer done shortly before this restore point. I do not have a system image backup, as there was an I/O error when trying to execute. I subsequently fixed that problem with a chkdsk /r , but hadn't gotten around to trying to get another system image backup.

This is my computer information:

Toshiba Laptop Satellite A665 running Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

I wasn't sure which forum to post in, as this problem involves a system restore, network, and hardware related issues.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Sunny,

Did you have an even earlier restore point except for the one you used.

Is there anyway to test this Wifi and printers on another laptop to rule out problem with the device or say the internet provider ?

Unexpected shutdown could corrupt files and also HDD sectors if it happens often.

Is there anyway for you to try to reinstall the drivers for WiFi and printers again ?

When you go to device manager is there any yellow exclamation points, make sure to go to menu and under view click "show hidden devices".

Any system recovery partition ? For last resort, do you have recovery disc's ?

Did you try a scan disk ? sfc /scannow

You could of tried this from an elevated command prompt after a chkdsk :

from the elevated command prompt, type:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then run: sfc /scannow

Edited by jds63, 23 June 2014 - 06:18 PM.

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hi JDS63,

I will answer what I can now and check the rest tomorrow.

I may have a previous restore point as the system makes them before any Microsoft updates. I will check tomorrow how far back it goes, although I am not really that optimistic if this restore didn't bring everything back properly.

There is no problem with the printers or Internet as I am using them with this computer.

I could reinstall printer drivers, since I have disks, but the network adapter was on the laptop and already working when I first used the laptop. I am not sure how to reinstall those drivers. Can you tell me where to look for the network adapter drivers?

I did not see any yellow exclamation points in device manager (I was looking for them), but I did not show hidden devices. I will do this.

I do not have a system recovery partition that I know about (not quite sure what you mean).

I want to clarify that I did not do the chkdsk after this problem. I did this previously because I was having trouble getting a system image backup. I have done no extra troubleshooting for this problem except for looking around to notice what is not working.

Will the scan disk look for problems and give me a report?

What does " dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" do?

Remember I did not do a chkdsk after this incident. I wanted to ask questions first, because sometimes when you start taking actions you screw things up even more.

As for restore disks, I made them when I got the computer 3 years ago...not what I want to do to get some drivers back.

I will check those items I mentioned and post again tomorrow. Thank you for looking into my problem. I appreciate any answers you can provide to my queries.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Sunny,

First place i would check for the Network adapter Drivers, i believe really known as Realtek Family Controller, is the manufacturers website first.

Can check here but unless you have the right model numbers it may be tricky  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Now you can find the information you need in System information, at start menu click run, type MSINFO32.

Go to system summary on left side under components click the + and then click network + then click the adapter.

This should give you all the information you need about your Network adapter, if you have trouble getting the drivers from your manufacturer's website and then use service name in adapter area to get them from Realtek's site.

The service name is in the adapter list.

O.k. a recovery partition will have all the original software and drivers for your system when you bought it, so if you perform a system recovery it will be set back to factory default as when you received the PC.

Anything you added afterwards will be gone and you will have to reinstall them back (software and New drivers).

Chances this will fix most problems (not bad or damaged hardware), but it is used as a last resort ONLY!. Since you have made the disc's it tell me you have a partition on this Laptop.

Scan disk will check for intergrity violations in the file system, most cases do a chkdsk first, then a scan disk, but you can just do a scan disk anytime.

Use Windows event viewer it will give you the results if you want to see them , scan disk will let you know when it is complete if there is a problem anyway.

Hard to expalin DISM but can read about it here it will not harm your system, ihttp://technet.micro...6(v=ws.10).aspx

I believe this command just restores the health of your system image (Windows). Usually done after a chkdsk, then you do a scan disk.

It was an option i am not saying you have to do it at all.

I used this combination when i had issues with System restore not working and it helped me, did not harm my PC.

Chkdsk is good to do on a regular basis to check for bad sectors on your hard drive and fix files.

You are most welcome, anytime.

Edited by jds63, 24 June 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hi JDS!

Boy, I'm really having trouble finding this driver on either Toshiba website or Realtek website.

This is the information I find on my laptop in Device Properties: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller 6/10/2011 Version 7.46.610.2011 Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

In System Information, I find Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3, Service Name RTL8167

I can't seem to find either of these in Toshiba or Realtek website. I don't know if you might have better luck than I trying to find this driver.

If I search the web, I find both referenced in other websites. I tried pasting one of the websites here, but this post doesn't seem to want to allow my paste of this other website. I don't know if it would be safe to download from some anonymous website.

Would any of the driver installation information be on my backup of almost all files and folders of my laptop?

If I am able to find this driver, how do I install? Do I go to device manager for this device and click update driver and then point to where I have downloaded it?

Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately due to circumstances, I only have a limited amount of time to work on this, but I will keep plugging away.

I have never really had to download new drivers manually as the system usually has taken care of it for me if there were updates needed by a particular device like a printer.

(The Intel Information is Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN Service Name NETwNs64  Intel 11/9/2010 Driver Version 14.0.0.113 - on the Intel website there is a version 16.7.0 which might be the updated drivers for my product)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Sunny7,

Now since it seems your driver is in place and if you check the Device Manager saw no yellow exclamation points under Network Adapters,

and it says device is working properly, chances it may not be the drivers. It was an option to try to reinstall them.

To install the drivers you would just need to run the execute (application) file and it will do the rest for you.

I checked the Web Site and under that service name i did not see it, should be under Realtek FE Family controller, in fact was a quick link on the page.

Here  http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false

I found an update for mine as i looked for yours, i have Realtek GBE Family Controller.

Now if there is a possibility you can Print screen and post your System Info page here i can tell you how you can do this so i can look at it.

Seems you showed me also an Intel device so we might have the wrong place we are looking.

To capture a screen, as the image (Window) is on the screen you want to capture, on keyboard hit Ctrl + Print Screen.

Then open Windows Paint program left click center in program, go to the menu click paste, then go to file and save as JPEG , it will ask you where you want to put it, usually in pictures, then attach it here.

At bottom of your post you are making if you do not see attachement, click full editor there.

As said before there could be a chance for a hardware problem rather then a driver issue.

Double check the Device Manager under Network Adapters again tell me exactly what you see there.

Is it this for sure ?  Device Properties: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller 6/10/2011 Version 7.46.610.2011 Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

If saiys device working properly then may not be the fault as said.

You said you tried a System Repair ? Did it tell you it could not fix a problem and then suggest a System restore point ?

If so chances a system recovery might be a choice, maybe corrupt files.

Did you ever run a scan disk,or chkdsk ?

I will check Toshiba's Web Site for you.

O.k. i found it on the Toshiba site here  http://support.toshiba.com/drivers

For WiFi where you will find Intel click the link to the left ,for LAN where you'll see and find Realtek click that link.I would enter myserial number on this page to better find the right drivers, model number  on your first post did not work for me.

Your last drivers were 2011 these are newer and it is true most will let Windows update find these for you.

Question you are using this as WiFi on this Toshiba laptop correct ?

What you are using now to connect to here is it also the WiFi or ethernet connection ? Wired or not wired ?

Also possible that something might need to be setup again with the Toshiba to enable it for WiFi, you could check with your internet service provider they should also be able to help you.

Right click the icon in notification area and go to Network and sharing center to check it there or troubleshoot it.

Edited by jds63, 25 June 2014 - 06:48 PM.

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi JDS,

Regarding driver updates, I had found that Realtek page you linked. The reason I did not like the driver was that the driver # was lower than the one I already had installed. 7.085 vs. 7.46.610.2011. More current versions usually have a higher number in my experience.

The same thing happened when I entered my Toshiba serial # on the Toshiba website. The versions that were provided to me were lower than the versions the Device manager provided, or didn't even seem remotely close to what was already installed.

You actually pulled up a higher version # of a Realtek Lan on the Toshiba page than my serial # entered on the website did. What I was looking for was a similar numbering system, but incremented up a bit. I certainly don't want to install the wrong driver for my hardware.

You are correct that under network adapters (showing hidden ones) There are no yellow exclamation points. For Realtek Driver Properties - Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Realtek 6/10/2011 Version 7.46.610.2011 Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

The system tried a System Repair. Then it suggested a System restore point, which could not be reversed. I agreed as I knew that I had installed new Microsoft updates the week prior. When the system rebooted, I could no longer get on the Internet. The "Troubleshoot problems" did not work (unexpected error). The troubleshooting wizard can't continue. c:\windows\diagnostics\system\networking error code: 0x8007045A context: Restricted

When I open up Network connections under Network and Sharing Center, it says Local Area Connection - network cable unplugged - Realtek PCIFE Family Controller

Wireless Network Connection - Not connected - Intel WiFi Link 1000BGN

When I click on Intel My WiFi Technology under Network and Internet - it says : Network Adapter Not found - A supported Intel wireless network adapter was not found in this computer.

There is a Intel PROSetr/Wireless Tools to diagnose your wireless hardware and connection, but it wants to make changes to my computer, so I didn't allow it.

I am using the same WIFI connection on a Dell Desktop to connect. This desktop is both wired and wireless. I assume that the wired connection takes precedence, but I guess that I don't know that for sure.

The reason that I suggested drivers was that my printers disappeared under Devices and Printers, then the system asked if I wanted to install a printer that was plugged into a USB port.

Perhaps that Network cable unplugged is the answer, but this is a laptop. I never touched the network cable. Could a bad shutdown or restore ruin my network adapter? I never had any problems with it before.

I will to get the screen print you suggested for the system information. I will also try chkdsk and scandsk.

Thank you for your patience and explanations!

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am attempting to attach some screen shots. One thing I noticed is that my CD Drive is no longer listed in devices to remove, nor did the USB stick show up as removable. So it seems that many of my devices got screwed up.

I ran the chkdsk without repair partitions. It noted 44 reparse records, but I didn't get to see the rest before it rebooted. I will have to look for the results another day. I am currently running the sfc /scannow.

The first time I tried to post with these attachments, the system couldn't display the page, so I hope it works better this time.

Device mgr Network.jpg

Driver properties.jpg

System Info.jpg

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

The scndsk completed and it said it fixed some corrupted files. I notice that my CD rom drive now shows up, but not the printers or the network adapter. I will look for the rest of the results another day.

Thanks, JDS!

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Good morning, JDS!

This morning I decided to run another scandsk and chkdsk, and "lo and behold" when my computer restarted, I got my Internet connection back and my devices and printers loaded back into that function. I don't know if everything is totally working okay, but I would like to try it out for a week or so and see if any problems still remain. Then I think that we could close this topic.

I suppose that I should consider updating my drivers for Intel and Realtek if I can be sure that I have the correct ones. I explained more about why I wasn't happy with the drivers I found in post # 7. Perhaps those screen prints I provided clarify which drivers are installed for my networking.

I am so relieved to see my system connected again. Thank you so much for your time, energy and help!

Advertisements

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

JDS, I thought I would include 2 new screen prints of my system information for Realtek and Intel for updated driver compatibility.

Intel System Info.jpg

Realtek system Info.jpg

That's it for now. Have a great weekend! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Sunny7,

I strongly suggest that if your computer is now running ok that you leave well alone, drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue and by installing a driver unnecessarily you can actually end up with the very issue that the update was intended to resolve, see here

You should also create a new restore point if the computer is behaving as it should.

Sunny7

Sunny7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Thank you, Phillpower2. I will take your advice to heart regarding driver updates and a new restore point, if everything seems to be working OK.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome Sunny7  :)

Important OS and AV protection software updates are all that you should automatically install  :thumbsup:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sunny7,

Glad to hear it seemed scan disk and chkdsk helped repair your problems, you are most welcome for help. :spoton:

Sorry i was away for 2 days.

I thought it was at first a corrupt or missing driver issue at the begining, but did keep pushing at trying the scan disk after a chkdsk.

Also trying a DISM.

Asked if you had any earlier restore points then the one used.

Also true my last resort would of been a system recovery, if all else failed.

True as Phill said updating drivers can be dangerous unless they address major issues in a newer release.

Although the Network driver i updated, before i did it i made a restore point, as you should always whenever you make changes or update system.

Edited by jds63, 29 June 2014 - 08:58 PM.