Computer acting up
Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:55 PM
Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:15 PM
Select Last known good configuration. See if that gets you going again.
If not, do the following. First chkdsk then sfc.
How to run chkdsk or System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
- Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
- When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
- At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
- At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C: ) and click Next
- At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
- Run chkdsk or SFC
- If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
- For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C: ).
- For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let either run to completion undisturbed.
Vista or Windows 7: If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here:
Windows 7 Direct Download Links
Windows Vista Direct Download Links
Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users