Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc start up problem

• Please log in to reply

brandon109

brandon109

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So recently ive been having a little problem with my pc this doesnt happen everytime on start up but it will happen randomly when i start it up it will shut it self down and open back up again it only does this on startup and its usually rare but it still scares me a little my only guess is probably my power supply? but i dont want to replace it if this is actually a simple problem to fix.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   brandon109

The power supply is a prime candidate as the cause but there are other possibilities such as a loose connection and in the case of a desktop computer a faulty power on or reset button.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

brandon109

brandon109

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

well my pc is a desktop i had it customly built 2 months ago all my parts are brand new besides my power supply and video card i would say my powersupply is 2-3 years old ive never really asked for help online yet so im not sure how to give u my info of my pc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Post the brand and model name or number of all your parts for us, knowing that the PSU is 2-3 years old makes me more suspicious of it.

brandon109

brandon109

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

asus z87-c motherboard, AMD radeon HD 6800 series,intel core i7-4770k cpu 3.50GHz, 650wat power supply (i have no idea what the brand name is), 8gb ram kingston

also if it is a power supply problem wouldnt my pc not be able to turn on at all?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please remove the side of the case and make a note of the PSU details that you should find on a sticker like the example below;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

rohit10101994

rohit10101994

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hey !!
whenever i start my computer, my monitor lights starts blinking and nothing is there on screen, while on background everything is working fine . i can hear sound of windows getting started . and later after sometime monitor statrts working and windows is already started in front of me till than !!
what is the problem and the solution ??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Direct to rohit10101994

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.

Please start your own topic and we will be happy to assist you there, it will be helpful if you can provide as much information as possible about your computer and it`s hardware/software + any troubleshooting steps that you may have tried already.