Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems booting just assembled computer: CPU fan spins for a second t

• Please log in to reply

tehshiz123

tehshiz123

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey all,

Just assembled my first computer, but I'm having issues with the video starting on the screen. The specs are below:

Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX DDR3 1800 AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module

Graphics card: Gigabyte R9 270X GDDR5-2GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card

Power supply: Seasonic M12II 620 BRONZE; SS-620GM2 80Plus Power Supply

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

SDD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SATA 6.0GB/s 2.5 Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) With Read Up To 530 MB/s

Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

CD Drive: Lite-ON Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Case: Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case, Black R5

When I hit the power button on the computer, the CPU fan spins for a second then stops. The monitor also does not recognize the computer is turned on. The graphics card fans spin for a second, stop, then start spinning 5-10 seconds later. They go on and off like that until I shut off the computer.

Any help would be appreciated, I can provide more details if needed.

Thanks,

Dylan

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday tehshiz123,  :welcome: 

Sorry to hear you are having a problem which could be a simple one, please check all the items..

The CPU cooler fan is plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB, (top left)

The MB has two power cables connected, one 20/4 pin at the right and one 4/4 = 8 pin at the top left.

The GPU is properly seated in the correct slot, (closest to the CPU) has two 6 pin PCI-E cables plugged in.

The RAM is properly seated in the correct slot, for your MB with one stick, install to slot #1, (furthest away from the CPU.)

tehshiz123

tehshiz123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Iammykyl,

Thanks for the reply! I just checked all the connections you mentioned, and I am still having the same issue. Any other fixes you can think of?

-Dylan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Dylan,

If I may chime in while iammykyl is offline  :)

Are the case power on and reset buttons connected to the correct header on the MB, if yes, I suggest that you remove all components from the case and do a barebones set up, please see the details provided below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen. 

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

tehshiz123

tehshiz123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Phillpower2,

Thanks! I actually did what you said and did the bare bones build. I only connected the PSU, motherboard, screen, graphics card, 1 stick of RAM.

I actually am still having the same problem. The CPU fan starts to spin then starts and I can't get a BIOS screen. If I had to guess, I'd say this probably means there's something wrong with my CPU or power supply.

What do you think?

Thanks for your reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

I have just checked the MBs QVL (qualified vendors list) and noted that your Ram is not on it, this is not always an issue but your Ram is only 1.35V whereas the MB specs state 1.5V for the Ram, please see here and here you have also used a third party heatsink and cooling fan and if this is not fitted correctly it may also cause issues.

tehshiz123

tehshiz123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks. I will try to change out the third party heatsink and fan for the stock to see if that works first. If not I will head to a computer shop to ask them about my problem and try new RAM.

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Please make sure that you clean off the old thermal paste before applying a fresh amount or using the thermal pad on the stock heatsink, see here

Can you post a link to your actual MB for us, there are different revision numbers of the board and some were prone to failure so this is also worth checking, see Newegg links here

You are welcome btw  :)

tehshiz123

tehshiz123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

My MB is http://www.amazon.co...7?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Not brilliant reviews but not the worst version of the board either, using the stock cooler and trying 2 X 4GB sticks of appropriate 1.5V Ram would be my suggestion.

NB: When you swap the CPU cooler have a close inspection of the pins on the CPU, look for bent or missing pins.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday mates.

Thanks Phillpower2 for stepping in and giving guidance for the troubleshooting.

tehshiz123.

You could have a faulty PSU which a home user cannot test under load, you can however test for a short.   The PSU needs some resistance to switch on.

Disconnect from the wall socket, connect one case fan using the 4 pin Molex plug, switch on the PSU and the case/PSU fans should start and keep going.

Before going to the PC shop, phone them and see if they can test the PSU under load, eliminating it being the cause.

as suggested, get a kit of  2 X 4GB RAM  as this still gives you a bootable system if one goes bad.   

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You are welcome iammykyl  :thumbsup:

An example of basic PSU testing that may also be of help here

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Phillpower2, I goofed and missed out bridging the 24 pin plug contacts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You are welcome iammykyl  :thumbsup: