Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP PC Video dead - need to access remotely

• Please log in to reply

andyhgtg

andyhgtg

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I have a PC where the video died (MB / CPU unknown) after a power cord came loose and arced and destroyed the PSU. This has now been replaced and originally I could at least ping the PC on it's IP address. I have now not powered up the PC for some months and it looks like it may have lost its settings as it no longer sets up the IP address.

What I wan to do is to power up some kind of OS via CD that will allow me to connect via ethernet without any local keyboard / mouse intervention as I cannot see what is being displayed.

What I am hoping for is - put CD in drive, power up PC, connect somehow (ssh?) to PC and perhaps set up Remote Desktop Connection or TeamViewer (ideally).

Anybody had any experience of doing this?

Ta.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the Power Supply was nuked?

after a power cord came loose and arced and destroyed the PSU.

Do you have a cheap video card laying around or that you can borrow to be able to install?

What I wan to do is to power up some kind of OS via CD that will allow me to connect via ethernet without any local keyboard / mouse intervention as I cannot see what is being displayed.

What exactly is the final resolution you are trying to get to?

What I am hoping for is - put CD in drive, power up PC, connect somehow (ssh?) to PC and perhaps set up Remote Desktop Connection or TeamViewer (ideally).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 15 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.