Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly shuts down -- Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

My computer started crashing randomly around 3 weeks ago, sometimes it happens right when restarting, but usually it happens a little while after starting a game.  I've searched around for reasons on why this is happening, i've cleaned my case, updated my drivers, ran a registry cleaner, and i've narrowed it down to my motherboard overheating.  I've attached a screenshot of CPUID HWMonitor which shows the high temperature.  I'm not clear as to why the temp is so high, it honestly might be that my motherboard has just reached it's end days, but i'm thinking it might be the psu, anyways the screenshot also shows the voltages, which I don't really know anything about.  My gpu temp is 30-40 celsius solid, and my cpu is at around 6 - 30 avg.  

Motherboard Values.PNG  The values on the screenshot are Current / Min / Max.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I'm not having any trouble crashing. You have one temp higher than mine???

Could you run Who Crashed and post the logs. Some one here can help you.

You want Who Crashed 5.01

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 26 June 2014 - 09:54 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi NeedsMore,

Could be a fan failure, use Speedfan to check the fan speeds.Cautiously leave PC open and start it to make sure fans are running.

What about your graphics card is it PCIe slot card ?

How many fans do you have in case ?

Games can get the gpu,cpu and motherboard hot if the fans are not cooling system good enough and possibly the thermal grease on cpu heatsink is not good.

It is shutting down due to overheating most likely

I am not too sure about those voltage specs but they seem o.k., but i would let others check this out, could be another possibility.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Thanks for helping jds63. I agree that over heating will cause computer shut down. There are many reasons for crashes.

Who Crashed lists them here! Knowing make and model, would help. Not sure if it's a lap top or desk top?? :headscratch:

Reasons for crashes!! :oops:

http://www.resplende...troubleshooting

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I ran whocrashed and it didn't find any crash dumps, then I specifically instigated a crash, and after it still didn't find any.  I think it might be my gpu overheating, since games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us can run forever without my comp crashing, but anything large like Arma 2, Payday 2, League of Legends even, cause my comp to crash 10-20 mins after starting.  When my computer restarted I checked CPUID and my gpu temp was at 65 celsius, and slowly went down to it's usual 30-40.  My fans are working properly, and by working properly I mean they're running.  I don't know what a good rpm is, but my cpu fan is at 1000 rpm, and I have a fan across from it which is running at 900 rpm.  My gpu (nVidia GeForce 560 Ti) is a x16 PCIe slot card.  Would my gpu overheating cause a sudden reboot of my computer?  That's what I refer to when I say crash, is my computer suddenly reboots.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I'm not sure why your not getting any mini dumps. Yes over heating can cause your problem. 65celsius doesn't  sound hot to me. That's why I suggested Who crashed. However It does sound like it's related to gaming???Maybe phillpower or another member will have better advise.

You could try Speedfan and see if it gives you different temps.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

PS These crashes can be very hard to find the cause. Even though it may seem heat related,it could be other things. Hopefully other members will have better advise.

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I just figure it's my graphics card because after it crashed one time I felt it and it was rather hot; I could only touch it for 5ish seconds before being burned. Speed fan actually records my temps as higher than CPUID.  

TEMP.PNG

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I don't know?? Here's what others are saying about your graphics card??? Does the temp ever go over 80C??

I wish I knew more about the voltages. The -12v seems low?? Hoping another member will comment!

I have a cheap old Toshiba lap top and Speedfan doesn't show voltages. If it does, I don't know how to read them.

https://forums.gefor...igh-/?offset=15

I wish more members would join in on topics like this one. I think it's cool when everyone works together. It doesn't hurt my ego when others join in when I'm posting on a topic.

If your running W7, type Reliability Monitor in the search bar and see if you can get a clue there what's going on!

How to use Reliability Monitor!

http://windows.micro...ability-monitor

Found this on the internet?????

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 27 June 2014 - 02:45 PM.

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Yea actually that reliability monitor did help, I looked through it for a rapid drop in reliability score and back on june 2nd the problems started after I played Battlefield 3.  My gpu crashed and I didn't think anything about it, but now I realize that's when the problems started.  Maybe that triggered a problem between my gpu and motherboard thus causing my computer to crash whenever my gpu is stressed?  I mean there has to be a correlation between the fact that it mostly happens during larger scale games (my gpu is being used more) and the problem.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

At this point, I just don't know. I really don't like your voltages. How old is your computer?? A weak power supply could also cause your crashes. Was hoping for another options from other forum members. Power supplys can cause these kinds of problems. I have a LCD Roswell Power Tester RTK-PST Wish I could loan it to you!!

If weak voltages are causing your crashes, it will be hard on your computer. Power supplys are not hard to change. I don't know how much they cost 100$ ???

I'm really thinking it's your power supply that's being stressed. I've been wrong before. I wish I could say for sure. Maybe you can get a second option or have your local repair shop test your power supply. I just don't see that kind of temp causing your crashes.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261023

Start another topic with your Speedfan stats and I'll stay off it. Maybe you will get a different opinion.

Advertisements

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

My comps 2 1/2 years old.  Honestly it might be my power supply heading out, but I have a 700 watt psu so how much could it degrade so it couldn't supply my comp with enough power?  And yea dude it's cool.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! This is some thing fairly new. I have ran it a couple of times and my CPU passed. I don't know how much your power supply could degrade?? There are lemons in every thing, cars. TV's PC's and power supplys. See if this tells you any thing! I'm out of ideas. There are a lot of things that cause PC's to crash and It can be a drawn out process trying to find the cause.

http://www.7byte.com/?page=hotcpu

How it works:
Hot CPU Tester Pro 4 is consisted of several test modules to stress-test each component within a system. Defective parts are most likely for to fail while they are under a heavy load, when the heat production is at its highest. The testing modules intentionally stress all components to their maximum limits to assess their integrity. Unstable parts cannot endure these pressures and will fail the tests, allowing the opportunity for an upgrade or exchange before the PC is released into a production environment. It is recommended that Hot CPU Tester should run for at least six hours to fully check the system. If a system is stable under hard conditions for six hours, it is unlikely to generate errors during normal operating conditions.

Edited by donetao, 28 June 2014 - 05:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello folks,

What processor do you have.

I note that you have a 700W PSU but can you tell us the brand and model name or number, a good quality brand will have a minimum of a 3 year warranty and be able to produce the 30 amps on the +12V rail that your GTX 560Ti requires, a poor quality brand PSU may not have any of these qualities though.

After you have done some gaming, please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

While you have Speedfan running you should untick the box for the automatic fan speed and manually increase the fan speeds if you can, incidentally the HWMonitor TMPIN 1 = CPU temperature and these high temps can be caused by over voltage from the PSU to the CPU either by a defective PSU or overclocking, has the system been overclocked at all.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello phillpower! Welcome aboard my friend. I was hoping you would reply! You are always welcome on any topic I'm helping on. I appreciate and admire your computer knowledge and I'm sure I will learn some thing new as I just did about the BIOS.

Thanks!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and thank you for your kind words donetao  :blush: