Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly shuts down -- Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I like that Hot CPU Tester program!  It basically weeded out that's it's not just my cpu that's causing the crash.  I ran the tester for about an hour before my comp eventually crashed, but this time on boot it said there was a hardware failure due to overclocking; which is strange since I have not even touched my clocks.  Would this be a sign that my motherboard is dieing?  And Phill my PSU specs:

700 Watt XION XON-700p12n

Voltages:

Vcore -- 1.408

DDR3 1.5v -- 1.504

+3.3v -- 3.376

+12v -- 12.302

Hope that helps, I really have no clue what the voltages mean at all :P  Also since my computer crashed in a diff way I think the crash related to the games would be more gpu related since Hot CPU Tester only tests my cpu/ram and not my gpu.  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Check the Newegg Reviews tab here and you will see what people that have purchased the PSU say about it, junk is a common word used to describe it.

Go into the BIOS and restore the MBs default factory settings in case something has somehow become changed, the settings are sometimes listed as "most stable settings" once changed press F10 to save the changes and then Y to confirm acceptance of the changes.

Next, test your video card using Valley Benchmark (free) from here

Post back with an update, can you also provide the requested CPU details for us + the brand and full model name or number of the MB, the latter to see if the Northbridge chip has or if it can have a cooling fan attached to it.

NB: If you check the PSU links in my sig you will note that two do not even list the XION brand (too many cheap imports to be able to test them all) but one describes the brand as "less reputable"  and if it is throwing out unstable voltage it could have an overclocking effect on your hardware.

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Alright, I think we're making progress!  I went into BIOS and there were two default options, fail-safe defaults and optimized defaults, it didn't tell me the difference so I picked fail-safe. Then as the computer was starting up after bios a screen came up saying SATA was not in AHCI mode, and something about it being in IDE mode, and that it couldn't run if not in AHCI mode so it automatically put it into AHCI mode.  When I got to my desktop I opened up Valley Benchmark and CPUID so that I could monitor my temps and I ran VB on ultra settings, my comp sustained it for 20ish minutes with 76-83 celsius gpu temp and a solid 40 celsius temp on each of my 4 cores in my processor.  Then as I was about to close VB and open Payday 2 to see if it was fixed my computer froze up and I heard a buzzing/scratching sound in my headset.  Not sure exactly what this means, but my computer did not restart like usual, I pressed the restart button on my rig and was again presented with the AHCI/IDE screen on bootup.  Andd now we're here :) 

Not sure what CPU details you want, but my exact motherboard name is Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H  --  Also AIDA64 says the motherboard ID is 11/03/2011-Llano-Hudson-7A66HG02C-00  --  I'm not sure what that means, but it might mean something to you, anyways thanks for helping!  Hopefully we can solve this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Fail Safe Defaults was the correct choice  :thumbsup:

The GPU temps reached are fine if not sustained for too long, it also makes the GPU less likely as being the culprit.

The CPU temps you have post are fine  (71.5°C is the max safe temp for the lowest level CPU that your board accepts).

The scratching noise that you heard could have been caused by the PSU overheating.

Go into the BIOS and make sure that SATA is in AHCI mode, save and exit etc and when you get into Windows check that your time and date on the taskbar are correct, shut down the computer and disconnect it from the wall socket, press the case power button for 20 seconds to dispel any residual charge in the system, hook up the power and reboot.

Does the computer boot straight in to Windows without issue and are the time and date still correct on the taskbar.

I suggest that you try and borrow a known good 550W bronze rated PSU for testing purposes or get yours tested under load by a suitably qualified tech

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

WOW! You guys are up late; or early?? It's 5:29 AM here.

I'm learning a ton. Hope I can remember it all!! I have answered another OP with crash problems. Could use help and advise there also!!

Sorry for interrupting!! :oops:   :yeah: You guys rock!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

10.46am here in the UK donetao, I may be mad but I'm not yet completely bonkers brought on by sleep deprivation  :woot: 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

10.46am here in the UK donetao, I may be mad but I'm not yet completely bonkers brought on by sleep deprivation  :woot: 

Been there and done that. I have neuropathy and lots of pee times. Had a shot of bourbon. Now back to sleep time. You are appreciated!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Well, SATA is indeed in IDE mode, and I changed it so AHCI and bluescreened on startup.  Do you still want me to do the other steps?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I'm out of ideas!! Are you still not getting mini dumps when you use Who Crashed?? I have never used this??

It's my last suggestion and Who Crashed last suggestion!!

http://www.resplende...rashed_verifier

I really hate to get ahead of Phill on this so use your own discretion's to decide. Give it a read and see what you think.

Don't know what Phill does with his week ends. I hope they are more exciting than mine. :prop:

Advertisements

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Haha you're welcome to help, I have a somewhat limited knowledge on how computers work, other than from a gamer's standpoint :P I have only received help from friends.  Whocrashed still says my crash dumps are empty, which is odd since my comp blue screened because it's formatted for IDE mode I assume, so there should have been a dump since it wasn't a hardware failure.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

I have never had a BSOD!!! This is what Who Crashed says!

http://www.resplende..._dumpnotwritten

Your dump file is named C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp.

If there are no dump files there, then I just don't know. I'm disappointed with Who Crashed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 29 June 2014 - 08:52 PM.

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Yea my minidump folder is empty so idk

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hello Needsmorecowbell,

May in interject, seems if you are an avid gamer i would suggest since the Video card is most likely the culprit to make sure when you purchase a new one.

To go with a higher bit rate, enough RAM, possibly Dual Fans on GPU.

I had a NVIDIA 650ti and it use to scream on most newer games, till i stepped up to a better card.

Just a suggestion and you may need a New PSU. Great place to look  http://www.newegg.co...0140630031236:s

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Yea i'm planning on upgrading my rig soon and i'll probably get a higher end gpu, but my card has been through a lot and gets no complaints from me(; i've never had performance issues tbh.  But would a Raidmax Cobra RX-600AF-B 600W -- or a Corsair 600W CX600 ATX be good?  Both are bronze certified and not too bad of a price tag.

Edited by NeedsMoreCowbell, 30 June 2014 - 01:12 AM.