Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer randomly shuts down -- Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. i t's seems from phillpower your graphics card was the culprit of your problems.

So thinking you would buy this first and for reasons of buying a new PSU you will need to know which card you will buy first to know the specified power for a graphics card, then you will know which power supply you will need.

Also mattering to how many other hardware items you have hooked up to this system, which also matters to how much power you will require.

I trust Corsair i have a similiar model and never had an issue and it is very quiet and has 46A on the +12v rail compared to the Riadmax at 38A on +12v rail.

Although it has some slightly higher ratings for the Raidmax. Your chose, both seem good.

Edited by jds63, 30 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

Advertisements

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Well Phill said that my PSU is crap, which I agree, and that a crappy PSU can cause oc'ing effects, so I think i'll get a new psu first and if the problem persists then i'll get a new gpu.  The only other hardware I have is a cd drive.  But anyways I would like to keep this forum open just in case I have any updates after getting a new psu, thanks everyone for your help (: i'll keep checking it in case anyone else has something to add. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Oh, o.k. i misread his post. Well your choice on the PSU.

I recently saw that Corsair PSU for even less on sale now at NewEgg. http://promotions.ne...ex-landing.aspx

Yes let us know how things go,YW!

Edited by jds63, 30 June 2014 - 10:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Sorry that I haven't been around folks, been snowed under with work  :(

Avoid the Raidmax and the CX 600 unless it is the CX 600M (modular) version, no brand gets it right 100% of the time and it would appear that the CX 600 was the one that didnt go to well for Corsair, see the first 5 pages (at least) of Newegg Reviews here and you will see where I am coming from.

You should also keep in mind that the present PSU may have damaged your hardware, the GPU being the most power hungry normally suffers the most, get your video card and if possible your PSU tested by a local tech or tech store before replacing anything, please note that testing a PSU with a multimeter is not sufficient as the computer is not under load, proper testing equipment is required which simulates a computer putting the PSU under load, the PSU then behaves as it would as if in your computer and the true voltages and temperatures will be produced, this will then give a true picture, example testing equipment in use here

Make sure that crash dumps are enabled on your computer;

During a system crash, the Windows crash dump settings determine whether a dump file will be created, and if so, what size the dump file will be.

The Windows Control Panel controls the kernel-mode crash dump settings. Only a system administrator can modify these settings.

To change these settings, go to Control Panel > System and Security > System. Click Advanced system settings. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

You will see the following dialog box:

IC675119.png

Under Write Debugging Information, you can specify a kernel-mode dump file setting. Only one dump file can be created for any given crash. See Varieties of Kernel-Mode Dump Files for a description of different dump file settings.

You can also select or deselect the Write an event to the system log and Automatically restart options.

The settings that you select will apply to any kernel-mode dump file created by a system crash, regardless of whether the system crash was accidental or whether it was caused by the debugger. See Forcing a System Crash for details on causing a deliberate crash.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I have CX600M, working fine.

It's all yours here Phill, you helped me on topics like this,i just put some input in.

Keeping you busy here or a job is ? :D

GOOD LUCK!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Thanks jd  :thumbsup:

My job but I suppose I should be grateful   :(

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes you should be, although not sure of the economy where you are but :rockon:

I think this OP was not looking to spend a lot is why he suggested the two models of PSU only i pushed more towards the Corsair reputation, although not being the best model for them.

Plus as one sayin goes too many chef's spoil the soup.

:spoton:

Edited by jds63, 02 July 2014 - 03:39 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Yes you should be, although not sure of the economy where you are but :rockon:

I think this OP was not looking to spend a lot is why he suggested the two models of PSU only i pushed more towards the Corsair reputation, although not being the best model for them.

Plus as one sayin goes too many chef's spoil the soup.

:spoton:

Hi jds63. I think the under lined and bold above depends on the chefs. If the chefs are on target and giving good advise, the soup will turn out excellent and everyone will be happy. :yes:

NeedsMoreCowbell

NeedsMoreCowbell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Alright i'll get my gpu and psu tested next week, and yea I don't want to spend too awful much unless i'm sure it's the problem :P so i'll get them tested see if either or both of them need to be replaced.  As for the dumps, it's set to kernel memory dump, and I have write an event to system log checked.  If I have to replace my psu i'll get the 600m as suggested, I mean it's only 2$ more ;) and honestly it was less about the money, I was just looking for the lowest priced 550W psu that was made by a decent company and bronze certified lol

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Let phillpower give you some suggestions, he is very good.

I have the Corsair CX600M and it works fine for months now and is very quiet.

Hey Chef Doneatao !!!

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Let phillpower give you some suggestions, he is very good.

I have the Corsair CX600M and it works fine for months now and is very quiet.

Hey Chef Doneatao !!!

Hello ! Just saying! I think teamwork can be very good. First we all have to leave our EGO's in the closet.

I know I don't always get it right and I have a lot to learn and I'm not even close to being  a chef yet. I have been on this thread from the very beginning.

I think every reply has been helpful to the OP and I'm sure he will get it solved.

Hey chef jds63 :laughing:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

True in many forums posts when you try to help the main person most of the veterans will try to help out too.

They are very knowledgeable.

What i like about this place is that no tech has a big EGO like i have seen on other forums i have used.

Go ahead Donetao not trying to step on your shoes. I just meant sometimes everyone has different opinions or ways of helping could confuse the main person who needs the help.

As you said you responded first.

If i am helping someone and another tech tries to and i feel he or she knows more then i can help this person better, sometimes i stop watching the post, that's me anyway.

I was just responding back to you. :D

BTW, TOS terms stay out of the way of the maleware teams threads. :prop:

Edited by jds63, 02 July 2014 - 07:05 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello jds63! We are getting off topic here.

I just have this last reply. You and every member here are always welcome on any topic that I'm replying on.

I just don't see why you own a topic just because you are the first one to respond. My pappy always said"Two heads are better than one"

I think more than one member can help the OP and not confuse them. If I'm way off base, then I'll back off. There is seldom :spoton:  just one answer to the problem.

That's why it's called PC(Personal Computer)

PS I have no intention of replying on malware  threads. I do have my own thought of how to clean up infected PC's however!

I do it everyday in my retirement village!!

Edited by donetao, 02 July 2014 - 07:33 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

No your not,continue if you like, you are misunderstanding me.

Terms of Service says we can not reply to Maleware topics regardless.

Truthfully they want others input.

As said i am done on this post, up to you.ty peace

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

No your not,continue if you like, you are misunderstanding me.

Terms of Service says we can not reply to Maleware topics regardless.

Truthfully they want others input.

As said i am done on this post, up to you.ty peace

I don't understand??? Your replies were very good and excepted by the OP,Phill, and myself.

Didn't know there was a war?? Peace!! I think the thread has reached it's limits and we just need to wait for the OP's final completion to the issue!

I think More Cowbell appreciated your replies and will make a decision with the help he received here.

Hope to see you around on other topics that I'm involved in jds63. Hope I have cleared this all up.