Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need some insight

• Please log in to reply

Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm wanting to get a new gaming rig, and looking at my computers specs, you can probly see why. I've been looking over things for a while now and I think I've come to be able to build my own.. but I don't want to. I have very bad luck with this sort of stuff. So I was told by a friend to go to Ibuypower.com. I've been going over things in there, seeing what I can get for how much, and what I might want to do. Someone who has been building PC's for a while told me that I should get two hard drives, one for the OS and then the other for storing data and such. Seemed reasonable, so I went through IBP again, and i came up with this.

Case ( Raidmax 268 ATX Mid-Tower Case w/350W Power Supply Black )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 6-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black ){Wouldnt let me select none}
Power Supply ( 500 Watt Power Supply )
Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra Color Lighting Case Fans )
Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/LAN, 7.1 Sound, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 PCI-E Motherboard )
Operation System ( MS Windows XP Home Edition )
Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( [PCI-Express 16x] ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( 80 GB HARD DRIVE [S-ATA] Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive )
2nd Hard Drive ( 80 GB HARD DRIVE [S-ATA] Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive )
Raid Controller ( Highpoint Rocket Raid Controller PCI Card -- Must select 2 same size Hard Drives )
Raid Configuration ( Raid-1 [Data Mirroring] With 2X Hard Drives )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Power Protection ( ** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator )
Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Network Card ( 10/100 Network Onboard )
Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Black )
Keyboard ( Combo: Multi-Media/Internet Keyboard + Optical Internet Mouse Black )

Price:$1,312

What do you think about it? Is there anything I could save some money on?

Advertisements

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well, you could of course save money without the RAID configuration. Plus mirroring won't help you if you want one for data and one for the OS. Mirroring is just basically creating a backup on the second drive of everything on the first drive.

P.S. I just bought a computer from cyberpower (almost the same as ibuypower. I looked at both. Just beware, there is a price to pay for the low price of the machine. If you want to know about my experience, which has been a qualified positive, let me know!) :tazz:

Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Mirroring would be nice, but not having the controller saves me 99 bucks. So thats out. What else could I save money on? I'm not exacltly sure about the video card, but while looking at Tom's Hardware benchmarks, I seen that it would probly be the best choice for the buck.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
lose the raid controller card, and use the 2 drives in a normal mode. that will allow one for OS and programs, other for data. thats a good way to go.

how much they want for the UPS? if you dont have power issues where you are, you could take that out.

also, whats the brand on the PSU? best to go with a good brand, like antec, thermaltake, or enermax.

the x800 is a very good card, which you know from reading the tomshardware reviews. if you really need to save a few bucks, you could consider a 6600GT. the performance isnt that much lower, and it costs less.
Im not biased against ATI by the way- I have an X850XT and love it!

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
You might wait on the UPS. I got mine for $30 at Best Buy with a $70 Mail in Rebate. Wait for a deal unless the price at IBP is really good.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont know why but i am always wary of custom computer builders you can often pay quite the premium on them compared to building or going for on of the boxed pc makers.
If you have a friend who has been building for a while get them to give you a hand. I looked at buying a pc from some good custom builders (Mesh,carrera,evesham) and when i looked into building i found i could cut out the bits i dont need or can do without till later and end up with a much higher quality pc.

Thats a good mobo for raid why would you need a raid card at all and that says you are buying two power supplies as well. Be wary of pc builders padding out spec lists eg that says network card then says its 10/100 onboard they are making it look like you are buying it as an extra.

jono

jono

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
looks good to me, the only problem that i can see is you have two power supplies (one in the case, one seperate) i dont know if there is any reason that you need both, but the one that comes with the case should be sufficient for the componets you listed. the other thing that you might want to do to save money is to eliminate the CD/DVD drive because there is nothing that it does that the DVD-RW doesn't do. if you feel up to building it yourself (its not hard, and you can refer to these forums for help) a site that has pretty good deals that you might want to try is tigerdirect.com.

Edited by jono, 10 June 2005 - 04:16 PM.

Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I got rid of the RAID controller. The UPS was only 20 dollars, and it was recommended so I thought, "Why not?" And the only reason I had 2 power supplies is because I didn't have the choice of not buying one besides the case PSU. But I found a way to bypass that. Tremor - I went to Cyberpower and looked at what I could get there, I put together basicly the same system for 300 dollars less, and with a better case to boot.

# CAS: X-BLADE II Mid-Tower 450W Watt w/ Side-Panel Window [-63] (BLACK COLOR)
# CD: SONY 16X DVD-ROM [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: SONY CDRW 52X32X52 EIDE [-25] (BLACK COLOR)
# CPU: (939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology ~ CAF607
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [+9]
# FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
# HDD: MAXTOR 80GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HARD DRIVE [-50]
# HDD2: MAXTOR 40GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HARD DRIVE [+52]
# KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard (BLACK COLOR)
# MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse [-13] (BLACK COLOR)
# MOTHERBOARD: (939-pin Socket) Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 Chipset MB w/ LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO [+33]
# MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO [-80]
# SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS [-90]
# SOFT1: Microsoft® Works 7.0
# VIDEO: ATI RADEON X800XL 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [-74]
# _PRICE: $1,006

The reason a lot of the parts are subtracting is because I used a premade list and just took out some of the more expensive stuff. The Flashreaders are apparently free, and there are multiple types of digital camera's in this house, so again, why not? I do have a little while until I'll be able to buy anyways, I'm just getting some insight on what I picked from people who know what they are doing. Hopefully some of this stuff will be cheaper when I buy it.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yup, its a given that prices will go down if you wait a bit.
only thing that bugs me about the new setup you listed- using IDE hard drives, instead of SATA. think seriously about going with the SATA, the performance is much better, and it doesnt cost any more than regular.

Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will, thats for certain. Its just that Cyberpower didn't have Serial ATA hard drives listed, which is why I'll either have this computer built somewhere else. Probly at a local store, cause I just can't trust myself working on something that will cost this much.

Edit: Oops, nevermind. They did have Serial ATA listed, I'm just blind. :tazz:

Edited by Rebel2345, 10 June 2005 - 07:07 PM.

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok, since you are thinking of cyberpower, I'm going to post what I wrote them on their customer survey. Be aware, that I was pretty harsh here, and listed the negatives. Their are many positives of this machine (i.e. the basic machine, processor, and cpu work great!). However, as you will see the purchase did not go without its share of problems:

The computer case arrived cracked. The multimedia card reader came loose in shipment, because it was installed with a little piece of tape. One of the temp probes alsop came off, because it too was also held on only with scotch tape. The eject button is broken on the multimedia card reader, and even once I reconnected it to the motherboard, it still does not read any cards. The left mouse button also does not work. The "professional" wiring does not allow you to install any devices without cutting the zip ties which have been strategically tied to the drive cages threw the drive securing screw holes. Also, one of the front panel pieces broke. The hold time for technical support is over 15 minutes. For all this, it took cyberpower 3 weeks to ship the computer! The guarantee 6-8 days (on the shipping info page) (although they say 5-10 elsewhere). My expected ship date was the 23rd, but it didn't actually ship out until the 1st of the next month. And then of course so many things arrived broken. My friend also noticed that, while cyberpower guarantees a 72 hour burn in process for all computers they build, on the order status page it lists my computer being built and passing quality control (& burn-in) all on the same day! Apparently no burn-in ever actually took place, as evidenced by the malfunctioning card reader. At least the machine is fast.

So yeah, this is probably pretty scary, but as I say, the basic machine is great. The only thing I would say is that with Windows XP 64-bit, some things, like my printer, can't be used because Canon does not currently provide 64-bit drivers. I will either end up installing Windows XP 32-bit for a while, or else put the printer on the other computer on my network. Anyway, in case you're interested, here's my specs:

COMMENTS/SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
Thank You!

(I was going to buy from IBuyPower.com but you were cheaper.)
ITEMS:
Gamer Infinity 6800 Pro (NO MONITOR)
INF6800Z, www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/load.asp?id=INF6800&v=d

* *BASE_PRICE: [+1595]
* CAS: ALUMINUM X-Navigator Server 420W W/ Window & Temp Dis,Fan Control+ 3 Swapable Face [-32] (SILVER w/ Blue, Black, & Silver Face Plate [+0])
* CD: SONY 16X DVD-ROM [+3] (SILVER COLOR [+9])
* CDRW: SONY DWD-22A DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+3] (SILVER COLOR [+9])
* CASUPGRADE: 12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (BLUE COLOR)
* CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 640 CPU w/HT Technology 3.2GHZ 800FSB 2MB Cache, 64 Bit [+0]
* COUPON: FREE $20 MOVIELINK COUPON, DOWNLOAD UP TO 10 FREE MOVIES [+0]
* CABLE: Round Cable Upgrade for Hard Drive, Optical Drive & Floppy Drive [+19]
* FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (SILVER COLOR [+0])
* FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 2 EXTRA 3-COLOR LED CASE FANS [+19]
* FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (SILVER COLOR [+7])
* HDD: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache [-10]
* HDD2: NONE
* IEEE_CARD: NONE
* KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BLUE COLOR [+3])
* MOUSE: Microsoft® IntelliMouse® Optical 1.1A USB & PS/2 Compactible [+12]
* MSGAME1: NONE
* MSGAME2: NONE
* MSGAME3: NONE
* MOTHERBOARD: (Req.DDR2 RAM)Abit AA8XE I925XE Chipset Sckt775 1066FSB DDR2/533 PCX w/Audio,Gb LAN,IEEE,&USB2 [+71]
* MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC4200 DDR2 Dual Channel Memory [+91]
* MONITOR: NONE [-195]
* MODEM: NONE
* MP3PLAYER: NONE
* NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
* OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional X64 Edition (Requires Intel 6XX CPU) [+46]
* PRINTER: EPSON Stylus C86 Color Inkjet Printer $29 After Rebate ($99 - $50 - $20 Mail-in-Rebate = $29) [+99]
* PRINTER_CABLE: None
* POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
* RAID: NONE
* RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
* SCANNER: NONE
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT [-16]
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: NONE [-51]
* SOFT1: Microsoft® Works 7.0
* SOFT2: Microsoft® Works 7.0 [+0]
* TEMP: COOLERMASTER Musketeer System Dynamics Detector [+28] (SILVER COLOR)
* UPS: None
* USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
* USB_PENDRIVE: NONE
* VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6200 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [-245]
* VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
* WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis [+19]
* WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
* WIRELESSCARD: NONE
* ZIP: NONE
* _PRICE: (+1494)
* _view_: detail

$1,494.00 x 1 $1,494.00
Coupon: INSTANT (5% Discount) -$74.70
SUBTOTAL $1,419.30
Sales Tax (N/A) $0.00
Shipping: UPS Ground $0.00
GRAND TOTAL $1,419.30

(Note: The printer has a $70 rebate. I just bought it because it is cheaper than buying $60 of ink to replace my Canon, so it's like getting a free printer basically :tazz: .)