Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pup's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hi! I'm not allowed to reply to members issues in this section. I would like to post this comment for members that are concerned and have asked about PUP's.

I hope this is exceptionable to the forum staff.

I'm thinking about learning how to be a malware fighter, but don't learn as fast as I use to and not sure I could cut it.

I saw a member ask about PUP's and seeing how busy our malware fighters are; I decided to help this way.

Here are my thoughts about PUP's

A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

In the past, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected only PUPs that were considered mostly harmful and deceiving but they revised their policy, taking a more aggressive approach to include PUPs that most users found annoying or misleading.

PS I run Malwarebytes Pro. It prevents these from getting on my PC. I have found no good use for these PUP's and when I find them on other seniors computers, I remove them. The most PUP's I ever found with malwarebytes was 1200. After removing them, the computer ran a lot faster. The internet and free software are all about money these days. The price we all have to pay for some thing free. It will only get worse!! The latest trick is a Down Load Manager. You have to be very careful when down loading from the internet. If your home page suddenly changes and you get a new tool bar and advertisements, you have been hit by a down load manager. The best way to prevent this is to down load the program directly from the vendor. Stay away from 3rd party down load sites like CNET( The worst place on the internet to get free software).

My advise is just delete them (PUPS). We all are going to have to live with these things as the internet gets more greedy$$$$$

That's my 2 cents!!

PS If this post is not exceptionable or needs to be moved, I fully understand

I hope this answers your questions john!!

Edited by donetao, 27 June 2014 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Due to nature of malware and its removal, only staffs are alowed to reply in threads. If you wish to help, you can apply to Geek U.