Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very large system reserve partition

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Hi all,

I recently got an ssd and cloned my old system disk to the new ssd. I have since been told that it would be better if I just reformatted the ssd and did a clean install of Windows 7 on the ssd, so that is what I will do.

Something is weird about the way that the system reserve partition got set up, though. It is very large--34 gb, and is empty. Normally it is 100 mb, right?

Will this all be fixed with a re-format and a clean install, or is there something else I need to worry about?

Thanks for your help.

Below is an image of my disk management page.

Attached Thumbnails

• drives.jpeg

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi mclimbin,

It looks to me like something got screwy in the clone that's all.

A reformat alone would not cure that but, when you start installing windows from scratch, delete both partitions on the SSD and just click next on the unpartitioned space that is showing and Windows installer will create the partitions again from scratch.

One thing to remember, whilst you are installing to the SSD, it is best to disconnect the other drives until it is complete. Otherwise windows may store some system files on another hard drive as there is more space.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Thanks for your answer and the info. I will re-install as soon as I can find those MS Office disks...I know I put them somewhere...

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Hi again, just wanted to check in and let you know that everything is working fine now. I re-installed Win7 on the ssd and it is working smoothly. I have all my data on one of my old 1TB hdd, and even have some programs installed on that disk, Thanks for your help!