Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting help with upgrading my junky PC

• Please log in to reply

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

My windows is full retail so installing it to a new rig won't be a problem in any way. The budget. It's not of any concern as I was already thinking about buying a new computer, I just hoped it wouldn't come to that so quickly, The only inconveniece is that I was intending to get a full respec by the time the witcher 3 would have come out so that I would play it comfortably, ideally at more or less stable 60 fps :) The only thing that would bother me is having to buy some crazy high-end computer costing about 3000 bucks :D

I'm more of a guy that likes spending money with some thought behind it, no sqaundering :D . I think some kind of a mid-to-high end will do. 

As for the country I will buy the hardware in, I wouldn't really bother about it, because the price doesn't really differ so much from the EU average price. All I need right now is some good and thoughtful suggestions as to what hardware will do the best for their cost, After that I will know what to look for in my country.

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by iCake, 28 June 2014 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Are you happy with your present case and optical drive/s.

Do you store much data, if no then adding an SSD for Windows 7 to your list of upgrade parts would be a good idea.

Your present video card is 128-bit but for better in depth video and gaming quality a 256-bit would be better.

You are welcome btw :)  

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Okay, an opportunity has preseneted itself to get two sticks of this memory "HYUNDAI/HYNIX DDR-II DIMM 2Gb <PC-6400>" They are used but a very good friend of mine is willing to part with them for a mere 15 bucks. I trust this guy completely and he says he won't accept any money until after I tested the Ram :) So I think it's a very good deal. The question is "will it give any boost to my current rig?"

As for a new PSU. I think this one would be a good choice "Chieftec GPS-500A8 500W", wouldn't it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

A marginal boost.

The PSU depending on how old it is + if it has been looked after properly will be better for all your hardware, you should also see an improvement in the video quality and system temperatures.

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Well, I think you didn't get it right. The PSU will be a new one bought in a shop. But that's my fault I didn't make it clear in the OP :) Anyway, you said my videocard required a 400W PSU, the new one will be 500W. Is this okay, or I'd be better off getting a 400W PSU?

Edited by iCake, 29 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Well, I think you didn't get it right. The PSU will be a new one bought in a shop. But that's my fault I didn't make it clear in the OP 

I got it right for the information I was given  :P levity apart though a new 500W Chieftec PSU will be ok for your present hardware but if you can get a better brand such as Antec, Corsair, Evga, OCZ or Seasonic, if you check the PSU database btw you will see that when tested the proposed Chieftec 500W PSU only put out 408W, see here

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hmm, what about "Corsair CX500" then? I see it has some kind of "80 plus bronze certificate", don't know what it means though :) Also it has more cords :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Corsair all day  :thumbsup:

The bronze rating is a guarantee that the PSU will produce it`s maximum output a minimum of 80% of the time that it is in use, I hope that makes sense  :)

A review here

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

That's settled then. The Ram from my friend and the Corsair PSU are what I will get. Thanks for your kind help, all the best to you!

I will come back here when the Witcher 3 has come out to get assistence with building a new PC from scratch then. It was a pleasure speaking to you. You've been a great help.

Now I read "I will not respond to members who have previously abandoned or not concluded their earlier topics" - what does that mean? I need to mark the thread as solved or something? If so, how do I do that?

Edited by iCake, 29 June 2014 - 11:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for letting us know that you are happy with the assistance that has been provided  :thumbsup:

Consider your reply/update #24 as concluding your topic which is all that is asked, I recently added the above to my signature after a member post 6 topics in 6 weeks but did not acknowledge replies to 5 out of those 6 topics despite assistance being offered to them, members and staff give their time freely to help others and deserve better than being treated as a personal service to people that have no manners, fortunately GTG has more members like yourself who appreciate the assistance that is available here 24/7 365 days a year and we are thankful for that  :)

Advertisements

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hmm, I was just thinking. I could tell you later how it all worked out when I had installed all the new hardware. If it's okay with you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That would be good as others may read your topic and decide to upgrade their own systems rather than replace it, any questions along the way let us know.

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Unfortunately, the friend's Ram refused to work for me, the Windows just goes to a kernel panic with them installed, and getting new DDR2 is not a vialable option naturally. There is one good thing though, I haven't bought the PSU yet :)

So, I think there are two ways I can deal with that right now.

First and the most hefty one is getting a completely new rig.

Second and quite affordable is to build up a new rig around my current video adapter.

I think I'd rather follow the latter route, but that is gonna be a 7 months or so rig (Time left to wait for the Witcher 3 :D) The question is "how smart is that?"

Okay, if the second route is a do, then I'd like to go for a perfect synergy of my future components and my GPU is the starting point for that :)

Here's what I have in mind, although I'm not sure if it's gonna lead to any kind of "synergy", so to speak:

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670К

Memory -  Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8G(X)

Storage - SSD SiliconPower S60 SP0120GBSS3S60S25

Now I have no idea what CPU cooler would be sufficient, perhaps even my current one will do, yet again if so, I'm not even sure I can mount it on the new MB :D

The case. This is the most problematic, because I absolutely loathe my current one :D I think I'd like to go for a full tower to finally have some space, no more tight squeezes! So I'd also like you to advise me on that :)

Last thing, would the PSU we agreed on be alright for the new hardware?

Edited by iCake, 30 June 2014 - 08:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay iCake  :(

A shame that the Ram from your friend did not work out but at least it has not cost you anything other than your time.

Rather than think of it as building a rig around your present video card consider it as your present video card will be fine initially but that you will upgrade it to a better one when the funds are available, remember that I said a 256-bit card will give you better in depth video and gaming quality.

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670К

Storage - SSD SiliconPower S60 SP0120GBSS3S60S25

The CPU and Ram are both on the MBs QVL (qualified vendors list) so well done on your selection.

The SSD is a brand that I have not used but your particular selection gets favourable reviews by Amazon customers, rather expensive though, see reviews here

Regarding using a third party CPU cooler, please see my canned text below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

The case that I used for my last personal rig was the Antec 900 Two V3 and I must say that it is excellent, see here

The choice of PSU needs to be left until you have confirmed your selection of parts, we can then use a PSU calculator for guidance.

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Apologies for the delay iCake

It's no trouble. I'm getting help for free in here, so a delay is not something I have the right to go all whiny about

The choice of PSU needs to be left until you have confirmed your selection of parts, we can then use a PSU calculator for guidance

Unfortunately, the day before yesterday my PSU decided it was time to pass out into a better world, so to speak, so it refused to start up my system any longer.

That's why I went to a closest shop and bought this: Chieftec BPS-650C2

I do hope it wasn't a bad choice and that it will do for the new parts I'm going to buy. Anyway, it is modular and that is a great plus for me. May it be enough for the new rig as well :D

After the PSU installation I noticed that the picture quality became a bit better and there was a slight perfomance boost about 2-3 fps to the lowest FPS in Skyrim. The Windows performance analyzer also added 0.2 point to the graphics card. It was 7.5, not it's 7.7

Although I didn't notice any system temperature changes, it is exactly the same it was before.

CPU: around 32 - 53

GPU: around 28 - 57

Rather than think of it as building a rig around your present video card consider it as your present video card will be fine initially but that you will upgrade it to a better one when the funds are available

Yeah, after some consideration I decided that it would be unwise to buy a CPU that'd work for as little as 7 months. Now I think of this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
Storage - SSD SiliconPower S60 SP0120GBSS3S60S25 -----> In question, you said it was a little pricey, what would you suggest. I'm always open to money saving proposals :)

The question is "does the selected MB meet the heavy gaming-computer requirements?"

As for the GPU: I'm targeting this: GigaByte GeForce GTX 780 Ti [GV-N78TOC-3GD]

But also have this one in mind: GigaByte GeForce GTX 770 [GV-N770WF3-4GD (rev. 2.0)

Although, I'm not going to buy a new GPU just right now, because my current GPU provides a mostly 60 fps (lowest I spotted was around 41) experience for the Mass Effect game I'm currently playing, and people say Mass Effect 2 and 3 are less demading. So I think the current GPU will be enough for at least the next 3 months.

As for the possible CPU warranty voidance it doesn't really bother me, because I'm going to buy a K-indexed proccessor, so it hints at what I'll be trying to do with it. :) I'm willing to take the risk of warranty problems 

The case that I used for my last personal rig was the Antec 900 Two V3 and I must say that it is excellent

That's a very nice case indeed, I will put this into consideration. Although, I also like this one: ZALMAN Z9. It's medi-tower but it looks like it has a lot of space :) 

Edited by iCake, 02 July 2014 - 09:49 PM.