Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having issues with wireless extender and usb wireless-n adapter

wireless extender usb

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Got it thanks  :thumbsup:

While I check over the report can you confirm that you flushed the DNS and if yes is there any improvement, you should also run a Ping Test, see here

Advertisements

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I ran it twice already.

Ping is 21ms

Edited by Urd, 28 June 2014 - 02:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

And any improvement.

21ms is very good, mine was 27ms

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Not yet

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are getting a ping of 21ms which as I said is very good, what were you getting before, I ask as you said there has been no improvement.

If you use Chrome or Firefox as your browser disable IE. you have Avast AV which is very good but you also have Defender and the Windows Firewall running as well, keep the Firewall to work alongside Avast but disable Defender;

To turn off Internet Explorer in Windows 7
  • Click the Start button , click Control Panel, click Programs, then click Turn Windows features on or off. ...
  • Untick the checkbox for Internet Explorer to turn it off, then click Yes.
  • Click OK and, when prompted, restart your PC.

To disable Defender

1. Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Defender, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Defender.

2. Click Tools, and then click Options.

3. Click Administrator, clear the Use this program check box, and then click Save18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Oh ok I thought you were asking about the issue not the ping. I removed all of that and it didnt ask Me to reboot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The lower the ping time the better your internet connection is and from the results you have provided it suggests that there is no problem with either.

What ping times were you getting previously and what ping times do you honestly expect to get, you will struggle to get much better than 21ms.

Restart your computer and make sure that the changes that you made have been applied.

Going offline shortly as it is getting late here.

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I didn't check the ping earlier until you told Me to.

My pages are still having issues loading and I keep getting kicked off the net.

Thanks for all the help I'll just have to take My pc to someone to get it checked out.

Have a great night!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Before you go to the trouble of taking the computer to a tech try refreshing the USB ports with USB Oblivion, free download here

To turn off Internet Explorer in Windows 7
  • Click the Start button , click Control Panel, click Programs, then click Turn Windows features on or off. ...
  • Untick the checkbox for Internet Explorer to turn it off, then click Yes.
  • Click OK and, when prompted, restart your PC.

To disable Defender

1. Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Defender, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Defender.

2. Click Tools, and then click Options.

3. Click Administrator, clear the Use this program check box, and then click Save18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Did you check that these settings are still the same as what I suggested.

I suspect that this is software as opposed to being hardware related but can I ask if it is your own personal router etc that you are using or something like a communal one in a college dorm for example.

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Already done those.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Yes I am aware that you did those two steps and was asking you to check to see if the changes that you had made had been reverted back to the way they were previously.

Before you go to the trouble of taking the computer to a tech try refreshing the USB ports with USB Oblivion, free download here

Did you try this.

can I ask if it is your own personal router etc that you are using or something like a communal one in a college dorm for example.

Can you answer this for us.

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

The changes to the pc have stayed the same after the change. the router is My own I have at My house.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Did you try refreshing the USB ports with USB Oblivion, free download here (no donation required).

Urd

Urd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

It is working great now! Thank you very much for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Was it USB Oblivion that did the trick.