Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Virtual Protection

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

I apologize for this post being rather descriptive, but please read it and then post your own views on using the total security of a virtual environment program as against the standard data base AV program.

I read of all the serious infections users are persistently getting and asking for help on various Forums and wonder why users do not flock to using a virtual security program. Forums are inundated with calls for help on infections.

For over the past 10 years I have exclusively used Sandboxie, an extremely user friendly virtual program invented and marketed by that brilliant entrepreneur Tzuk, now unfortunately retired.

A virtual concept is that the computer is wide open to the world, the good, the bad and the ugly, but  is completely sealed off from the users PC operating system. The bugs and malicious activities are allowed to flap around in their contained virtual environment but can go nowhere. Nothing leaves the sandbox unless the user allows it to.

On browser closure, everything inside the sandboxed virtual environment, including all programs are either closed or killed off, complete with bugs. Whatever creepy crawlies and malicious nonsense was about has not even sniffed the outside of the virtual sandbox - effectively a sealed operating quarantine area. The Fox never gets anywhere near the Chickens.

I have never had a single infection of any significance in all those 10 years. A few minor offenders have got through at times, probably due to when I have had to cautiously use an unsandboxed browser, but were soon killed off by my AV`s. I have surfed through the Valley of Death many times, you name it, I have been there, but always come out without a scratch, thanks to Sandboxie.

My question is, why do users ignore the total security prospect of using a virtual system and still plod on with the old fashioned AV stuff, letting all kinds of bugs invade their PC`s ?

A virtual system has no restrictions, it is infinite, whereas all other security programs depend on constantly updating their massive data bases in a mad dash to keep up with the bug Maestros. A losing battle of "follow the bad guy".  Data base programs are out-of-date at the time of updating. In a virtual  environment, there is no data base,  new bugs are no different from old bugs, they are all safely contained in the sandbox and the program never ever lags behind the bug creators..

I operate the Free Sandboxie program which you get automatically after the 30 days trial. It has never given a single iota of trouble and updates are advised when available. I just never know it is there, battling the bugs, except that I never get any infections as a result. For a short period I did try Returnil, but soon went back to Sandboxie, it is far more simple and easy to operate.

Sandboxie is one reason why when MS stopped supporting my Windows XP Home in April,  I have no concerns whatsoever about no longer getting that Tsunami of MS security updates, with their uninstall programs, occupying a generous GB of my disk space. I  do not need them. Sandboxie gives me all the security I wish to have and far better than any Windows security updates ever  provided.

You must of course still have an AV and FW installed when using a virtual system. These are needed for those occasions when you must use an unsandboxed browser. There are many such occasions, not for browsing, but for other specific reasons, usually very short periods. Just use good freebies like I have.

Edited by John Bull, 28 June 2014 - 01:28 PM.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello john Bull! Nice topic!! I use to use sandboxie. Got tired of the nag screens.

I always have a backup image of my OS that is virus free.

I run MSE and MBAM in real time.I also use WOT.  I have only been infected one time and that was by choice.

Sandboxie is OK but hard for most people; especially the seniors in my village, to understand.

I'm sure it's new and improved sense I last used it!!

We need some thing that protects us from the newest thing.(Down Load Managers)

I hate them with a passion and they are becoming the latest thing when down loading freeware. (CNET is the biggest user of Down Load Managers) I have quit using CNET altogether. It's called greed and $$$$$. Even when you opt out of the PUP's they offer, they still install them on your PC. Tool bars,Home Page, Advertisements, Pop ups and more! Down Load Managers are bad news :alarm:

Will sandboxie protect you from Down Load Managers??

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

@ Donetao

Thanks for that. I am so pleased it was constructive and not destructive.

Sandboxie runs like a dream as if it was not there, a hidden and silent Minder that protects you from everything.

Of course you have to configure SBxie just like any other programs such as AV`s and FW`s. No big deal, it is quite an easy task.

There are no nags or pop-ups with SBxie, only that infernal start-up nag panel which childishly makes you wait 5 seconds before logging on. I moaned about that with the SBxie  Forum, but the loyal guard ganged up on me and I backed off. I guess it is just one of Tzuk`s peculiar idiosyncrasies to punish freebie seekers.

Download Manager software ? I have never bothered to even find out what it is. I presume  it is some kind of cobbled-up software for managing your downloads. Who needs it ? I can manage my  own downloads extremely well  and do not need the "help" of  some unknown and dubious outside body to screw things  up..

Surely Download Managers are not a security threat,  just pieces of unnecessary junk  which on every download I have dealt  with, can be given the big  elbow by carefully looking at the Wizards and excluding. I have made hundreds of downloads and do not have a single Download Manager on my set.

The use of Download Managers is an individual choice of bloat software, not a subject for security discussion on this thread.

Regarding CNET - I use them as a popular source of downloads and do not find them any problem. Of course you have to watch all  these sites like a hawk, they  can be a real plague,  but if you are careful and manipulate these people to satisfy  your own needs, there is no problem. If you go blindly in with a Gung-Ho attitude, then all kinds  of  unwanted junk can descend upon you.

WOT ? Yes, I also use WOT, but it is essentially a mass opinion poll and of no definitive help, just a guide on what a random variety of users personally think and nothing more. An ordinary users plaything covering a number of assessment features, from malware, child suitability, to "offensive" material, not at all for the geeks and little to do with secuity protection. A red blob from WOT means nothing with SBxie, you want to go there, go there. Just keep the door shut.

A final note - The Internet is like a bee`s nest, the idea is to get the honey without being stung.

Edited by John Bull, 29 June 2014 - 04:11 AM.