Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 computer shutting off randomly

• Please log in to reply

bossman714

bossman714

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi and thank you for your time. Ive got an AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T processor 3.20 Ghz with 8 Gb or ram. Running Windows 7 64-bit. Ive been having the weirdest problem ever that's driving me nuts so any help would be fully appreciated. Going on a few months now my computer will up and shut off for no apparent reason. At first it rarely did it. Like if I was burning a movie sometimes it would do it. Then over time it does it when I try to burn any movie. When im playing a game it will do it occasionally. Its weird though it will do it several times in a row making me start my computer up letting it load everything start the game again and itll run for various lengths of time then just shut off again, several times. Then other times I can go days without it doing it. I can watch movies with no problem and do the majority of other things like surfing the web with no problem. It does do it sometimes when im on the desktop trying to open a program or some other small thing. Itll do it most times I try to run a virus scan, not immediately after I start it but eventually. Some times im able to run a full virus scan and it finds nothing. So if someone could please give me an idea of what to do I would be eternally gratefull.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Could you run Who Crashed and post the logs here if you need help reading them; someone will help you.

There are many reasons a Computer crashes. Here are some reasons!!

http://www.resplende...troubleshooting

Here is the link for Who crashed!! Scroll have way down the link. You will see the free down load for Who Crashed 5.01

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

PS Also! When is the last time you cleaned the dust from your PC. A common reason for crashes is over heating. Your PC will shut down when it over heats to protect it's self!

Edited by donetao, 29 June 2014 - 04:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    bossman714

In addition to the above suggested by donetao;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

bossman714

bossman714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Sorry ive been away so long had to have surgery and wasn't able to get to my computer for awhile

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Welcome back Bossman714, I hope that you are now fully recovered  :thumbsup:

As per my reply #3

:welcome:    bossman714

In addition to the above suggested by donetao;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

In addition to the above;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.