Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to get ethernet to work after re-install XP

Network Ethernet Internet

• Please log in to reply

bhruss

bhruss

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I have a Dell 4600 that I bought new in early 2000's. It has ran nearly flawlessly since I have owned it, with only a couple of minor spyware/virus problems from my kids and graddaughters downloading every thing they could find that was marked as "free".

In the past few months, I have had a couple of "blue death screens" followed by a bit of scanning and repairs that Windows supposedly did. I  also have been unable to use the "system restore" to go back in time for a restore. Then, I would leave the system and come back an hour later to a black screen with a nice "make selection above or system will reboot in __ seconds". Again, it would reboot it's self and run ok for a couple days. Then, it just started looping the "make selection" error.

I used Linux Slacko and moved my personal ducments to another large harddrive and re-installed XP from the factory original disk included with the computer, went through all of the drivers, etc. I loaded everything in the order that the disk said to do. I used the "re-install" feature of the disk, reformatted, etc.

Ethernet did not work. I do a ping in command prompt and it says it works, but I can not get it to find the DSL signal.

Went to the Dell website and checked for driver options and service tag info, downloaded all the drivers that Dell recommended on their site for this exact machine. Installed them as the Dell instructions  stated to do, in the order they specified. Tried the optional drivers as well. Even checked the Dell forum for this issue of no ethernet or network other than modem, and there were a lot of the same issue with no helpful solution that would actually work for me. I tried them all.

So, I re-stalled by selecting "Install Windows XP new" and repeated the entire above process.

And I still cn not get the ethernet to work, no network connection will worrk. If I attempt to create a new internet connection selecting "New", "custom", High speed on all the time" the wizard supposedly creates it, but then I look in the internet connections and there is none listed - it simply will not create one, and I can not get it to work.

I know XP is no longer supported, but I still need this computer to work and be internet ready. I know I have a huge number of hours worth of XP updated to download.

I am assuming (probably incorrectly) that I need the Service Pack updates before I can get the ethernet to work, but the catch 22 is I can not cvonnect that computer to the internet until I get the ethernet to work.

Can somebody please help with with a solution?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello bhruss,

Some questions if I may;

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the device.

Is the device enabled in the BIOS.

Were the drivers installed in the order that is laid out here

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking.

Do you have access to a wireless router, this in case the internal modem has failed.

In the Network and Sharing Centre do you have any connection shown at all as in a link from your computer to the modem but no link from the modem to the internet.

Do you have an installation disk that may have been provided by your ISP.

As the device is old it is entirely possible that it has failed and it not working now is a coincidence.

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hello bhruss,

Some questions if I may;

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the device. - I do not have a Device Manager

Is the device enabled in the BIOS. - I do not know how to find out.

Were the drivers installed in the order that is laid out here - Yes, I did it in that order a couple of times

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking. - No, but I did try it now. I tried to do an internet connection in safe mode and got "Cannot load remote access manager service. Error 711.

Do you have access to a wireless router, this in case the internal modem has failed. - Yes, I have a Belkin setting right behind the computer that my wifes tablet and laptop use wireless, but the "wireless" stuff is all grayed out and I can not search for wireless connections.

In the Network and Sharing Centre do you have any connection shown at all as in a link from your computer to the modem but no link from the modem to the internet. - I have "Network Connections", nothing labeled as you specified. If I have it I do not know where it is.

Do you have an installation disk that may have been provided by your ISP. No, I am on DSL, there is no disk or software - always on. They never gave me anything when they installed it (except a bill)

As the device is old it is entirely possible that it has failed and it not working now is a coincidence. - Everything was working including the ethernet until the crash, but that doesn't mean it is not a coincidence.

Thanks for responding.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Thanks for the update which we can come back to if the steps below do not help;

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
  2. Double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
  3. Right-click Telephony, and then click Properties.
  4. On the General tab, click Manual next to Startup type.
  5. On the General tab, click Start under Service status, and then click OK.
  6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 for the Remote Access Connection Manager service and for the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service.

You are welcome btw  :)

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Thanks for the update which we can come back to if the steps below do not help;

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
  2. Double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
  3. Right-click Telephony, and then click Properties.
  4. On the General tab, click Manual next to Startup type.
  5. On the General tab, click Start under Service status, and then click OK.
  6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 for the Remote Access Connection Manager service and for the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service.

You are welcome btw  :)

I did this from the Windows help pages after I posted the last time. Telephony was on and running, turned on and started RACM and RAACM as instructed, did not work.

Restarted computer, still did not work. Checked same services again and Telephony is on and set as specified, RACM and RAACM were turned back off after restart.

Still no ethernet connection can be established.

I have to go pick up a script for my baby grad daughter so it will be a couple of hours before I can see or repy again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Not a problem as family must always come first  :thumbsup:

For Device Manager click Start > Right click on My Computer > Click Properties from the list that appears >  Click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button.

The Dell BIOS is often accessed by continuously tapping the F2 key when you first start the computer, once in Set Up you need to navigate the pages until you find what you are looking for, depending on what is shown in the Device Manager this step may not be necessary.

Unless you have ever fitted a wireless card the wireless options will be greyed out but as you have a wireless router available consider purchasing a wireless dongle like the example here, they are a lot faster than dial up.

Your other updates are acknowledged  :thumbsup:

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Not a problem as family must always come first  :thumbsup:

For Device Manager click Start > Right click on My Computer > Click Properties from the list that appears >  Click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button.

The Dell BIOS is often accessed by continuously tapping the F2 key when you first start the computer, once in Set Up you need to navigate the pages until you find what you are looking for, depending on what is shown in the Device Manager this step may not be necessary.

Unless you have ever fitted a wireless card the wireless options will be greyed out but as you have a wireless router available consider purchasing a wireless dongle like the example here, they are a lot faster than dial up.

Your other updates are acknowledged  :thumbsup:

In the Device manager I have a bunch of yellow question marks on my printers and the ethernet controller. I did the properties and the driver info and it says drivers for this device are not installed, code 28.

Let hardware update search my disks that came with the system and driver not found.  It should be R73044 according to what I have found in some Dell forums, but that may not be the correct driver. And that driver is in the Dell drivers folder.

Edited by bhruss, 29 June 2014 - 06:13 PM.

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I finally found out that the Hardware Wizard was attempting to install the wrong driver for the ethernet. The correct driver was installed but the system was attempting to use the driver for video, the correct driver is R67150. I had to do it in safe mode for it to accept the driver. Then do it again in normal mode. After some failed attempts and a little cursing, I got it to accept the correct driver and the ethernet works.

Wait for it..........

But not the internet web browser, or Windows update. It seems this came with IE7, and that just crashes on the Microsoft site (as well as most others) because it is so out of date.

And, when I try to get it to update, it crashes - so I can not use the Mr Fixit for the "Windows fails to update".

I am going to try to download the fixit file onto a disk and run it that way, but I have to get some disks this morning.

I had to get my baby girl's medicine for her ear infection yesterday because her daddy was working, so I did not get much more done. She is the apple of grandpa's eye.

Edited by bhruss, 30 June 2014 - 04:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you bhruss, been inundated with work  :(

How are things going with the computer issue/s.

I hope that the little one is ok  :thumbsup:

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you bhruss, been inundated with work  :(

How are things going with the computer issue/s.

I hope that the little one is ok  :thumbsup:

Thanks. The apple of grandpa's eye was back to her crazy self after 2 doses of pink snot. She is a little tomboy and she is not afraid of anything.

Computer not so good. Keeps craching and looping, will not boot even after reloading a dozen times. I have done all of the bios updates, loaded the drivers as specified, etc. Got the ethernet to work but the windows would not even attempt to update. Loaded SP 2 onto disk, same issue  - will not update.

Had it running rather fragile like for a number of days until the power unexpectedly went out, then back to the looping crap and won't load.

Went back to using Linux Slacko on it. Works pretty good this way - I am answering on it.

Still need to fix it. My granddaughter likes it for youtube for kids video's, and I want it running for her. Considering buying Windowws 7 full, but think I will put a new larger drive into it first. Only has an 80gig pata, and a 500 gig sata auxillary that I store my biz records on.

I have another XP 420 that I use for invoicing, not on the internet so I souldn't need to worry about that one.

Any ideas as to how to semi permanently fix it would be welcome at this point. Whether it is new hardware, upgrades, or whatever.

Bob

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

First you need to install Service Pack 1A or 2 (not both) then Service Pack 3 then Internet Explorer 8 as XP comes with IE 6 which almost nobody supports any more.

You can download the stand alone executables here:

Windows XP Service Pack 1a Express Install (32-Bit) for End Users

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Internet Explorer 8

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Well, I cured the problem, but not in the normal sense I guess.

I reloaded windos XP another 3 times with no luck or improvement. No matter what I did, the dang thing would not update it' self. I download the service packs and installed them same crap.

So, I downloaded Linux Mint and installed that.

From what I can see, it works good, and can do the things that my grand daughter likes - so that cures that. It has been running all days every day for a week, and both my wife and all 3 granddaughters have been playing with it and no problems what so ever. And I understand is is less likely to virus' and spyware as well. Problem solved.

Now I have another issue. I dug out my Dell XPS Gen 5 that I had in storage. It was buggy and kept crashing right from Dell. A year ago it just freakin died. It would boot to a the black screen "what do you want to do" and stop there.

So I thought what the heck I will try to fix that one as well for my older grand daughters since I have the original Windows XP Pro disk for it. Brought it in, plugged it in with montior, keyboard and the like. Hit the power button and absolutely nothing. The light does not come on, no atempt to boot, etc.

I just put a new power supply in it 2 years ago, so it shouldn't be dead.  I opened th side with it plugged in and the yellow light is on on the mother board, but will not power up.

Got any ideas on this one?

I am trying to get some systems running for my grand daughter - thought it might cut down on the cat fights in the living room......

Edited by bhruss, 14 July 2014 - 04:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Try reseating the Ram and any add on cards, depending on the quality of the replacement PSU it should not be ruled out I`m afraid.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Almost certain to be the power supply, even if only two years old. I've had them new and bad right out of the box.

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

That figures. I paid Dell $ 249 for that power supply. It was the very last new one they had in stock according to the girl who screwed me on it.

Have to try ebay for it now I guess.

Can't use an aftermarket because the power supply is the size of the case and covers the whole bottom of the computer, with about 17 leads on it to the mother board, video card, hard drives, card reader, floppy, cd, cdrw, ethernet, modem, usb ports front and back, lighted front, top fans, etc.

Any chance there is a fuse inside it?

Edited by bhruss, 13 July 2014 - 08:07 PM.