Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only Manual detection of 2nd HD works!

• Please log in to reply

taupokiwi

taupokiwi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I have a dell dimension 8300 thats about a year and a half old. Running XPsp2
In the master harddrive slot I have the standard dell 80gb HD
In the slave harddrive slot I have a 120GB Western Digital.

Up until about 2~3 weeks ago this worked fine but recently windows won't detect the second drive on boot. The only way to make it work is to go into control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ and click "Scan for hardware changes" then it detects it straightaway and it works fine.

I've run mutliple Diag tools on the second hard drive and even put in a borrowed 250gb western digital HD, but the problem wont go away! it detected the new HD on the first boot, installed it and then said i need to restart, and then the same thing happend ;)

I've checked the bios and the drives appear properly.

Windows also seems to freeze for a longer period of time than usual after I click login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :tazz:

- Taupo Kiwi

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. Have you verified the jumper settings on one hd is set to master and the other is set to slave? You could try changing the EIDE cable.