Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude D610 won't boot.

windows xp dell latitude error

• Please log in to reply

KTBoy

KTBoy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all, 

I am in desperate need of assistance. Yesterday I tried to boot up my Dell Latitude d610 (Windows XP Pro) with only the result of a blinking cursor at the top of my screen. Can't get into F8 advanced options either. F2(Setup) and F12(Boot Menu) are the only options that work. I don't have any of the recovery media as I received this computer as used.  :no:

Help!

KTBoy

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! You would do better asking this question on the Dell forum. If your PC has a hidden restore partition you can try this.You will lose all data and your PC will restore back to it was when it was first turned on!

Turn on the computer.

2   As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

new_note.jpg Note:     You must press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.  

3    Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.

4    Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5    Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6    Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7    In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8    Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.

9    Click Next
The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10    When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

KTBoy

KTBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

As I said before in my first post I can't get into the F8 menu. Any other advice?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

As I said before in my first post I can't get into the F8 menu. Any other advice?

There are several things you can try.

Puppy Love!  http://www.winhelp.u...uppy-linux.html

You could test your HD with seatools dos.

You could test your memory with memtest86+

Not being able to get into F8 is not a good sign. It could mean your OS is corrupted. It could mean you are so badly infected that windows won't boot. Some times it takes more than one try.

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/226386

We have to have some place to start and boot your PC!!

As I advised earlier, the best place to get the help you need is the Dell forum. I will try to help and other forum members may join in with suggestions.

There are a lot of things that could be wrong and very little to start with. We don't know if it's hardware or software. Not getting into safe mode makes things tough!

Edited by donetao, 30 June 2014 - 04:53 PM.

KTBoy

KTBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I used Ubuntu to check the hard drive partition and I looked like XP was gone. Since my laptop is out of warentee Dell won't send me recovery media and I don't feel like dealing with their crappy support. I took a leap of faith and figured that XP was out of support anyways so I went ahead and installed Ubuntu. Thanks anyway!

KTBoy

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Your Welcome!!