Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

• Please log in to reply

mango_nj

mango_nj

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

I was referred here by Joe from the Malware Forum

I intermittently get the Blue Screen of death.  My computer freezes and then I get a blue screen. I have to depress the power button in order to reboot. It doesn't happen all the time, but at least 3 times a week.  I was just in the Malware forum and my system is clean.  I've also experienced problems with installing my microsoft updates. Every single day I am prompted to install updates and the windows update icon sits in my sytem tray 24/7.  Even though my pc is set to auto install.....windows update says...

MOST RECENT CHECK FOR UPDATES  - Never

UPDATES WERE INSTALLED - Never

I have used every microsoft tool to fix the problem and nothing corrects it. Not sure if you can assist me with this as well, but thought I'd mention it incase it is part of the problem. Thanks so much for your help!

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

It's possible you may have a hidden partition that will allow you to restore back to factory settings!!

Down load Who Crashed and attach the report in your next post! Someone will help you read the report if you need help.

There are many things that cause crashes!  http://www.resplende...troubleshooting

Not up dating Windows is one of them!  http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Edited by donetao, 02 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!! Really appreciate you guys.

Gateway Notebook ML3109
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series
Power supply is a Replacement AC Adapter

doesn't give the wattage. I believe the original

was a 65 watt. If you need more info, let me know.

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 7/2/2014 6:31:55 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070114-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x4E488)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF9B096488)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 7/2/2014 6:31:55 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x4E488)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF9B096488)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Edited by mango_nj, 03 July 2014 - 12:41 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Thank you for the mini dumps!

Here's a place to start until someone smarter than myself replies! Also you need to install your windows up dates. When is the last time you cleaned the vents? Down load a program like speedfan to see if your PC is overheating.http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Method 1:  Run Memory Diagnostics test to check for any memory problems. Refer the below mentioned link for the same.

Diagnosing memory problems on your computer

Method 2: Update the chipset, video card, display and network adapter drivers to the latest by visiting the computer manufacturer’s website.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

Update drivers: recommended links

Method 3: Check to see if the issue occurs in safe mode. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

b.      Use the arrow keys to choose Safe mode in the Windows Advanced Boot Menu Options and then press Enter.

c.       Check if you can open the desktop icons, if not, then it could be some third party application that is causing the issue.

Method 4: Restart the computer in normal mode and follow the below mentioned article to find the cause of the problem.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Note:  Make sure you put the computer back to Normal Startup once you are done.

Edited by donetao, 03 July 2014 - 03:48 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Type "View Reliability History" in your search bar. Click it and see if it may have a clue to your crashes.

http://windows.micro...ability-monitor

So How Does This Work?

Imagine your computer has started flaking out and locking up for the last week, and you aren’t quite sure why. All you have to do is open up Reliability Monitor and check what happened to start the crashes in the first place. You can click on each day that has a crash, then go back in the list to before all the crashes started and figure out what was installed to make things break… and remove it from y0ur PC.

Edited by donetao, 03 July 2014 - 04:46 AM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

This site is help full on BSOD's 

http://msdn.microsof...244(VS.85).aspx

Sounds like a driver has been updated to me and it doesn't like the new software

Failing all else you could do a roll back to a point when it was OK

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Donateo and HolycowZ!    thank you both for posting information and helping me with my blue screen situation.

Today's a holiday, but I will start looking into all of this first thing tomorrow and see if trying anything you've suggested will help.

I'll post back.   Really appreciate the help!!

@ HolyCowz....I'm unable to roll back b/c I just came from the malware forum and all my previous restore points were deleted.

Edited by mango_nj, 04 July 2014 - 11:16 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Ok! We need to find out if it's software or hardware problems. As HolyCowz has suggested;drivers are a big cause of BSOD.

We need to get the window up dates installed!

http://api.viglink.c...?linkid=9767096

Edited by donetao, 05 July 2014 - 11:36 AM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

HI Donetao!

I ran the FIXIT tool and it fixed some problems, but was unable to fix the windows update issue. I've included a screen shot so you could see the result. Also, if you look at the system tray in the bottom lower right....you'll see the Windows update icon sitting there. IT NEVER GOES AWAY.  Even though I'm set for automatic updates, every single day it prompts me to download and install. I am not sure if anyting is actually being installed OR if it's just stuck in some kind of loop.  I've tried other fix it options and nothing has worked. IS there a way I can manually download and install the updates I need??  Thank you!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows-update-fixIT.jpg

Edited by mango_nj, 06 July 2014 - 12:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Excuse the interjection folks  :)

First of all use the MS Fix it here

Next take a screenshot of the Vista updates and attach it to your next reply, Control Panel > Programs > Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates (for those who are not sure how to check)

Do you have a Vista installation disk mango_nj

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello mango!

Please follow Phill's suggestions. If I have a suggestion, I will post it! The up dates are very important and need to be installed.

PS Welcome aboard Phill. You are always welcome. Do you think the  dotNet will have to be uninstalled and reinstalled?

I have had to do that one time, before I could get up dates to install.

Will be watching and learning. I have 182 Window up dates on my W7 Toshiba lap top!

Edited by donetao, 06 July 2014 - 09:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure donetao as the software has been reported as being fixed, I have seen instances where there were that many updates outstanding that they had to be manually installed a few at a time as Auto Update would fail every time due to being choked by the amount of updates that were trying to download/install at the same time.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Phillpower2!  I recently moved and will have to see if I can locate the vista installation disks. May need some time on that one.  I will run the 'fix it' tool from your link & do as you suggested and report back. Thanks Donetao, i'm open to any and all feedback that may help find a solution to my situation.  I'm still learning, so pls include instructions.  Thank you everyone!

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Phillpower2..........

The 'Fix It' tool did not fix the problem.   The WU icon is still sitting in my system tray, it never goes away.  There are instructions on how to do a reset manually by command prompt and I could try that if you'd like me too.  I have my WU settings, set to auto install [1] and yet status says INSTALL updates Never/check for updates Never [2]. I don't understand this.  Please see enclosed screen shots, it will show you  'exactly' what I'm talking about.  Plus, I have a screen shot of WU history per your request. 

Does microsoft still have an area where I can download the updates I need manually??  There used to be a microsoft  site that would detect any updates you needed and you could download them from there. If you need anything else, just let me know :)

Attached Thumbnails

• WU-Settings1.jpg
  • WU-NeverInstall2.jpg
  • WU-history.jpg

Edited by mango_nj, 07 July 2014 - 11:13 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

3. If you see a message telling you that important updates are available, or telling you to review important updates, click the message to view and select the important updates to install.

4. In the list, click the important updates for more information. Select the check boxes for any updates that you want to install, and then click OK.

5. Click Install updates.

Read and accept the license terms, and then click Finish if the update requires it. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you continue to see errors, see this automatic troubleshooter on the Microsoft Support website, or go to the Microsoft Answers website for more assistance.