Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! This worked for me one time.

Open control panel. Click on Programs and Features. Find Microsoft NET Framework 4.5.1. Double left click it. Click Repair.

If that doesn't work, try the NET Framework repair tool!

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30135

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 08 July 2014 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

So as not to weigh you down with suggestions please follow the suggestion/s made by donetao and then post back please mango_nj

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Donetao! WILL DO and I'll post back & let everyone know how it panned out.  My situation has been so frustrating.

You guys are awesome!!!!

Edited by mango_nj, 08 July 2014 - 09:00 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Way out in left field! See if you can install windows up dates in the clean boot mode!

I'm desperate!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You can down load Microsoft Net Framework 4.5.1 here

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40779

Edited by donetao, 08 July 2014 - 09:59 PM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Donetao...sorry for the delay. I had a few crashes.  I looked in programs and I only have these two...
Microsoft .NET4 Framework client profile
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 [SP1]

My pc info does say I have SP2 installed --see screen shot

Should I download and intstall Microsoft NET Framework 4.5.1.  via the link you gave me..then try repair? Pls advise

I tried updates via clean boot mode and it didn't work. Still saying last update was 6/30, even though WU goes through a pseudo  install process.

I did utilize your previous suggestion by clicking Windows update...didn't work either.  It checks for updates, then prompts me to restart. Never gives me a list of what is being updated. It acts like it's installing something. After it's done and my pc reboots...the WU icon sits in my system tray all over again prompting me for more windows updates. Appears to be stuck in some kind of loop and stays there permanently.

Attached Thumbnails

• PC-info.jpg

Edited by mango_nj, 11 July 2014 - 01:15 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello mango!

Maybe time to call Mr. Phill

4.5.1 Is the latest framwork for Vista. You could see if it will install.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40773

I don't know that much about Vista. My W7 has 4.5.1

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30135

I have seen a sfc /scannow now recommended on other threads???

Edited by donetao, 11 July 2014 - 06:52 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello mango!!

When I check my up date history, it shows all successful !

Do you show any WU that aren't?? I just had 10 new ones!

http://support.micro...te-issues/en-us

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 11 July 2014 - 07:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Have you been able to locate your Vista disk mango, if not please see the tutorial provided courtesy of Ztruker here then the SFC and chkdsk guidance below; hello donetao  :wave:

Run chkdsk and System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console

• Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk or SFC
    • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
    • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
    • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)

Let either run to completion undisturbed.

Vista or Windows 7: If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (X64 or X86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key
when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you
want to install. You can activate once the install is done.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Ultimate

Downloaded the Vista X64 or X86 files.

X64:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63453.exe

X86:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63452.exe

Double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe. It extractes all the files into a Vista sub-folder.

Downloaded
Windows Bootable Image Creator zip then extract the files to a folder:

Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe
Click Next
Select OS Type: Windows Vista
CD/DVD Label: VistaX64 or VistaX86
Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe.
Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (X64 = 3,837,112KB, X86 = 3,013,816KB).
Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso or VistaX86.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like
ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created a X86 flash drive and used it to install a clean copy of Vista Home Basic on my HP DV2200 Laptop. Worked great using the key on the COA sticker of the laptop.

Remember to use the X64 or X86 version of Vista you currently have.

Note:
You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.

Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Good stuff! Nice reply! :wave: Mr. Phill!

Note: You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.

Great advise! Especially The Network(Lan and Wireless) driver!

Also wondering if the OP has a recovery partition;  if he decides to restore back to factory. That's later down the road if the repair doesn't work! :spoton:

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi phllpower2!!

I was not able to locate the Vista disk....so many many thanks for this Info. I will follow the  Repair instructions and get back to you.

WOW!! really appreciate it. 

And thank you Donetao for all your valuable feedback as well :)

To answer your question, I haven't had a WU since 6/30/14 according to the log.

Eventhough, my pc goes thru the motions of downloading and installing every single day.

I recently tried to install Microsoft Power Point Viewer and got this error saying install failed.

microsoft.vc90.atl,version="9.0.30729.4148",type="win32",processorarchitecture="x86",publickeytoken=1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"

When I researched via Microsoft it has something to do with Microsoft update, which is my current problem. There is a fix and I will try that first and

see if it solves the situation. If it works...certainly I will post it. If not...I will move on to Phills suggestion. Pls give me ample time to go through all these

steps. Thank you everyone!

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Does it say if any WU's have failed in your log??

And thank you Donetao for all your valuable feedback as well :)

To answer your question, I haven't had a WU since 6/30/14 according to the log.

Eventhough, my pc goes thru the motions of downloading and installing every single day.

Please read this! The Reliability Monitor might just tell you if a WU has failed!!

http://www.howtogeek...ou-arent-using/

And you are very welcome :spoton:

Once you select a time period, you’ll see the events in the bottom part of the screen. You can use the “Check for a solution”, which every now and then will have an actual solution (don’t hold your breath, though). You can also view the details for each of the updates, which will help you figure out what exactly that update did.

Edited by donetao, 14 July 2014 - 10:36 AM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Thanks Donetao...I will check out that link you posted. I appreciate it. Here's an update...sorry it's taking me longer than expected. I work long hours. It don't see where any of the WU have failed.  Maybe I am not looking in all the right places. I've looked in installed updates and history.  If there is another place please let me know :)

I tried the fixes via Microsoft.  

The 1st fix I tried was manually Restarting the Windows Modules Installer service, located in administrative tools. It didn't work....but it did however, remove the WU icon from permanently sitting in my system tray. It is now gone.

I then tried the 2nd fix....According to their Rep...An unsuccessful install of prior Windows Updates OR Custom MSI packages could have left over faulty registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS. Solution: run Microsoft FIXIT 50202.  Last night I got a prompt from WU to download and install new updates. It restarted my system and went through the motions, but when I checked the 'installed updates' link....it says last update was 6/30/2014. So, that verified the fix was a fail.  I will now try the repair function and chk dsk as Phill suggested.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Thanks Donetao...I will check out that link you posted. I appreciate it. Here's an update...sorry it's taking me longer than expected. I work long hours. It don't see where any of the WU have failed.  Maybe I am not looking in all the right places. I've looked in installed updates and history.  If there is another place please let me know

Yes there is another place to check if WU have been installed(Reliability Monitor).

I have been preaching that from day one.

Reliability Monitor will show you every up date;successful and failed!

Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch.

Edited by donetao, 17 July 2014 - 01:55 AM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Phillpower2 and Donetao!

I created a Vista Flash Drive and ran Vista Repair. Thanks Phil!!! It did not detect any problems, therefore it didn't fix anything.

I also performed a Chkdsk.  Afterwards I had another WU. My system went through the motions and again, the log is showing last install was 6/30/2014. Appears the problem is still there.

Reliability Monitor is so difficult to find on my system, but it doesn't seem to be working. I tried to change the date, but  the only one in the drop down menu is 2008 and that's the only information it has listed.  Does this need to be started some how in order to operate properly?  I found an article here that states....

To get Reliability Monitor to work, you need to:

Change a registry setting from 0 to 1
    Change a scheduled task's "One time" task to the current date and time
     Run or enable the task

Donetao can you confirm this for me?

Phillpower2 What are the steps to reinstalling Vista?? I have never done it before. Will it delete all of my programs that have been preinstalled??  I don't have any of the disks to put them back. The manufacturer stopped providing those. Not sure how to go about getting the right drivers I need and rather intimidated about the whole process.  Sorry I have so many questions. Appreciate any feedback from both of you :yes:

Edited by mango_nj, 18 July 2014 - 12:54 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I don't know Vista. I managed to skip that OS. Maybe Vista doesn't have Reliability Monitor???

I also don't know much about your Computer Model! We need to find out if you have a recovery partition on your computer.

That would be the easiest way to restore back to factory. If you don't have a recovery partition, then Phill can help you restore with the CD you made.

Go into Control panel- Administration tools-Computer Management- Disk Management. Take a screen shot and attach it in your next reply..

If you have the recovery partition, it will take you back to the day you first turned your PC on. We may need to think about that!!!

The last partition in my screen shot is my recovery partition. I'm going to see if I can find a manual for your PC Make and Model.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG