Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failure to boot after bios update

bios flash sata

• Please log in to reply

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi,

Can you try to access the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options by pressing the F8 key immediately after boot, you should see a menu like this:

W7-RE02.jpg

Select the option Disable automatic restart on system failure if you see a Blue Screen with an error code, please post the error information.

Sadly I can't get to this screen. I only get to a similar looking screen but with two options, whether I press the F8 key or not. One option is startup repair. The other is start windows normally. The first runs but fails to resolve the problem. The second looks hopeful, but immediately crashes the computer which powers down.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Len

Hi SleepyDude,

Done as requested. Took me to BSod as you predicted, with the following message:

A problem has been detetected ... etc.

If this is the first time yoou have seen this error screen .... etc.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XFFFFF880009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,  0X0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I hope this means a lot more to you than it means to me!

Len

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I'm the junior here, but I suspect you were not lucky. Researching those error codes paints a pretty dark picture to me!!

I suspect that the issue lays elsewhere and not with the BIOS (if so it is a narrow escape) if the BIOS flash goes bad the MB is basically hosed (requires remapping or replacing the BIOS chip) and you would not have been able to try the steps that you have done.

The above is a quote from phillpower! I hope it's "a narrow escape"doesn't look to good to me!! :oops:

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hello! I'm the junior here, but I suspect you were not lucky. Researching those error codes paints a pretty dark picture to me!!

I suspect that the issue lays elsewhere and not with the BIOS (if so it is a narrow escape) if the BIOS flash goes bad the MB is basically hosed (requires remapping or replacing the BIOS chip) and you would not have been able to try the steps that you have done.

The above is a quote from phillpower! I hope it's "a narrow escape"doesn't look to good to me!! :oops:

i am much more optimistic. I believe this indicates the problem is exactly where we thing it is, either in the bios settings or in the HDD drivers. I think SleepyDude will have me backing up and then editing the registry when he comes online.

At least I hope my optimism is justified.  :yeah:

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello len!

I hope your optimism is justified also. I goggled the error codes you posted and there was a lot of talk about Mother Boards!

All over my head! Will be watching and have my fingers crossed for you.

donetao!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

A few days ago I fixed a similar case, Windows failed to boot with error 0x0000007B after a BIOS reset, usually after a BIOS update a reset is automatically done.

Please access the UEFI BIOS again, locate the HDD option you changed before to AHCI and tell me the values you have there to choose.

Do you know if the Hard Disk is partitioned in GPT mode or MBR?

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi,

A few days ago I fixed a similar case, Windows failed to boot with error 0x0000007B after a BIOS reset, usually after a BIOS update a reset is automatically done.

Please access the UEFI BIOS again, locate the HDD option you changed before to AHCI and tell me the values you have there to choose.

Do you know if the Hard Disk is partitioned in GPT mode or MBR?

IDE, AHCI (currently selected) and RAID

As for the partition, I don't know for sure whether it is GPT or MBR, but a previous error message I have had when trying to boot up from the windows 7 CD included a complaint that the system was GPT. So I suspect GPT is the one.

Len

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Start the machine and press F12 to access the Boot menu, please post the options you have there.

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi,

Start the machine and press F12 to access the Boot menu, please post the options you have there.

UEFI: Samsung HD204UI

P0: Samsung HD204UI

P5: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280s

Enter setup

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Enter setup

Try this, use F12 again and choose UEFI: Samsung HD204UI on the Windows Error Recovery force windows to Start Normally

if windows fail to boot and restart use F12 again but this time select P0: Samsung HD204UI and Start Windows Normally

Any of these ways results on Windows booting?

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi,

Enter setup

Try this, use F12 again and choose UEFI: Samsung HD204UI on the Windows Error Recovery force windows to Start Normally

if windows fail to boot and restart use F12 again but this time select P0: Samsung HD204UI and Start Windows Normally

Any of these ways results on Windows booting?

No.

Just as before, if I choose UEFI Samsung and boot normaly, I get the wondows splash screen for a few seconds, then the machine crashes. If I choose P0 Samsung I get the message: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

No.

Just as before, if I choose UEFI Samsung and boot normaly, I get the wondows splash screen for a few seconds, then the machine crashes. If I choose P0 Samsung I get the message: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key

Do you know for sure if Windows was installed with the Sata option set to AHCI?

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

That's what the people who assembled the computer have told me.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Ok, Did you notice any option on the BIOS about Secure Boot or CSM?

lenbowers

lenbowers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ok, Did you notice any option on the BIOS about Secure Boot or CSM?

Between Bootup Numlock state enabled and Full screen logo show enabled, there is an option labelled Security Option currently set to system. The alternative setting for this is setup.

I can find no reference to CSM

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Between Bootup Numlock state enabled and Full screen logo show enabled, there is an option labelled Security Option currently set to system. The alternative setting for this is setup.

I can find no reference to CSM

It's not that, don't worry. I can't find those options on the manual maybe they call it something else...

Another question the Hard Disk is 2TB in size?