Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio troubles

• Please log in to reply

Daniel2626

Daniel2626

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, 

so I'll explain quickly when it happened first. It all started when my computer crashed at some point because my brother didn't closed it properly. After that crash, when I opened my comp, my headset sound was working like before but the microphone was gone. I tried the headset on my brother's laptop and it worked all good.

So I thought it was a sound problem or something, I went on a few forums from google's search and most of them pointed at the playback devices screen (from right clicking the sound icon) but, surprise!, nothing appears there even though I got my headset connected, microphone, speakers, etc. (you can see what I mean here and here, and I just want to point out again that my speakers and headset audio are working, but they aren't appearing and my microphone doesn't work.) 

That's pretty much it, I was wondering if anyone encountered that type of mic issue? Is it hardware problems? If I was unclear on some points feel free to mention it, I'd be really glad to have my working microphone again. Thanks!

PS: On my pictures, when it says "Aucun périphérique audio n'est installé.", it means that I have "no audio devices installed" but that's false, I have realtek and working speakers. Also here's a picture from my realtek audio window, some forums also directed there but nothing appears there neither.

Edited by Daniel2626, 02 July 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:    Daniel2626

Try restoring the computer to a point that is before the issue first became apparent;

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then clickSearch.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, then follow the instructions.

Daniel2626

Daniel2626

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey thanks Phill! 

I know that's really my fault but when I went there it said that I do not have any backup points. Any other solution? :S (I could always restore everything to "fresh from factory" or whatever its called, but is there any risk doing that if I got all my stuff saved elsewhere? would it solve my problem if I did it?) 

Thanks,

Daniel.

Edited by Daniel2626, 02 July 2014 - 03:08 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Very strange that they don't show!! What do you see in devise manager.

Always good advise to restore to a earlier time before the problem started!

Good to see you back MR. Phill!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Daniel2626

Daniel2626

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi donetao, thanks for your assistance,

here is what I see in the device manager tab :  http://puu.sh/9U8Ha/64a1f1a25a.png . Also as I do not have an earlier restore, would you advise a complete restore or never? Would that harm the computer in any way? Could it be an hardware problem?

Thanks!

Edited by Daniel2626, 02 July 2014 - 03:17 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hi donetao, thanks for your assistance,

here is what I see in the device manager tab :  http://puu.sh/9U8Ha/64a1f1a25a.png . Also as I do not have an earlier restore, would you advise a complete restore or never? Would that harm the computer in any way? Could it be an hardware problem?

Thanks!

Hello! I don't see any yellow marks in devise manager. That's what I was looking for.

I wouldn't advise a complete restore yet!

Wait for further advise from Phill!

It would help to know what make and model your computer is! You could try a system repair if your running W7.

I'm sure Phill will have some suggestions!

PS Sorry :oops: I just noticed you posted in W8. I know very little about Windows 8. Only what I Google!

http://windows.micro...efresh-reset-pc

Edited by donetao, 02 July 2014 - 03:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello folks,

Refreshing your computer can affect your personal data but it does depend on from where or how it was obtained, also please create a new restore point before you refresh the computer, going offline now as it is getting late here and I have an early start  :(

Warning
  • Applications you’ve installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Applications that came with your PC and apps you've installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed applications on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

To refresh your PC
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on screen.

Daniel2626

Daniel2626

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi! 

I'm really sorry for the delay but I had a crazy week and my computer wasn't helping.. I had the audio problems AND I couldn't restore to previous state as I had no previous restore point. Then I found out about Acer eRecovery, I activated that and I had problems with restoring the computer while keeping the files. So I did a total wipe of the drive and after many hours, I'm glad to say that it worked!!!

Everything works fine now, my computer went back to Windows 7 because that was the original OS but I don't mind, it's better than 8. 

I just came to give you some feedback and thanks a lot for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Thanks for the follow up Daniel  :thumbsup:

You appear to have resolved the issue and now have the computer working as you would like so well done to you for that  :rockon: