Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bettery replacment

• Please log in to reply

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Original battery that came with my Sony Vaio vgn-nr260e was

VGP-BPS9/B 11.1V/4800mAh

New battery that I purchased is

VGP-BPS9/S 11.1V/5200mAh

My question is, what difference does this make. Reason for replacing the original one, was because it doesn't hold a charge.

how long is this battery supposed to last on a full charge?   VGP-BPS9/S 11.1V/5200mAh

My new one doesn't even last 1 hour, once fully charged the percents start falling slowly. Even when turned off, the charge decreases.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello The_Lantern

Is the replacement battery a genuine Sony product or a generic replacement.

If you fully charge the battery and then disconnect the AC adapter from the notebook does the battery still lose its charge quickly.

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Is the replacement battery a genuine Sony product or a generic replacement.

It is a generic replacement bought of ebay. I just wanted to save some money.

It doesn't loose the charge quickly, I charged the battery to a full 100% the previous day,  the next day, when I turn the notebook on the charge is about an 80%. And I just purchased it several day's ago. is it the battery or my laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sorry but I am a bit confused as you said in your OP "My new one doesn't even last 1 hour, once fully charged the percents start falling slowly. Even when turned off, the charge decreases."

Your new battery if it was a genuine Sony item would be expected to hold a charge longer than your previous original battery, this because it has a higher 5200 mAh rating as opposed to the previous 4800 mAh

I did a quick Google search on your type of generic replacement battery and even trusted retailer Amazon has had complaints about poor battery charge times and BIOS changes needed etc, see  here

If you fully charge the battery and then disconnect the AC adapter from the notebook does the battery still lose its charge quickly.

Can you answer this please, an AC adapter if faulty could possibly drain power from the battery.

Try the Sony Calibration and Diagnostics which you can get from here

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Can you answer this please, an AC adapter if faulty could possibly drain power from the battery.

The origional AC adapter that I used to charge the laptop, overheated and stopped working. Being cheap, I had another AC Adapter from a different laptop (broken one)

just switched the sony plug and wired it to the other, and it worked. But I don't know if this charger is actually draining power from the battery. When its plugged in, the charge

is slow. I may have to buy a new charger.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I would suggest that you start off with a genuine replacement Sony AC adapter and see how that goes, this is the least expensive option before purchasing a genuine Sony battery, the cost of either will appear insignificant if your present set-up fries the MB etc.

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

I have purchased a New AC Adapter by sony just waiting till it arrives.

Here is something that I found out about Sony Vaio Notebooks.

Only genuine Sony® batteries are supported for use in Sony VAIO® computers. Sony does not support third-party batteries.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Dell are the same and their notebooks definitely don't like third party hardware or software.

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Well thanks anyway for all of your help, But if Genuine Sony batteries are recommended, then I guess i have  to dish out 99.99+ shipping possibly 5 or more.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Give the new AC adapter a go first and if it doesnt work out then it does look like you will need a battery from Sony, incidentally my original Vaio battery is almost 7 years old so the quality is definitely there.

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

This is the AC Adapter I bought Here, It is compatible with my laptop, vgn-nr260e as said in the description. Just waiting till it arrives, then i'll

see how it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Fingers crossed for you  :thumbsup:

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Hello Phillpower2

Nothing has changed from acquiring a new Ac Adapter, battery still looses charge as usual. Something that I've noticed, The battery doesn't drain that fast If I remove it from the

laptop. It only does that when its on the laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello The_Lantern

The battery should lose very little to no charge when not in use and the fact that it is in only a short period of time does suggest that the battery is not good  :(

Have you tried the Sony diagnostic tool

Another test that you can do is the PowerCfg utility, please see example below;

To use the PowerCfg utility, you'll need to open an Administrator Command Prompt. At the prompt, type the command powercfg -energy

After you press [Enter], the PowerCfg utility will begin analyzing your system's power-option settings. After a minute or so, you'll see a report brief and will be prompted to open the report titled energy_report.html for more details. The process is shown in Figure E.

Figure E 368029-500-252.png When the PowerCfg utility is finished analyzing your system's power-option settings, you'll be prompted to open the report file for more details.

You can type energy-report.html at the prompt to launch Internet Explorer and open the HTML report file.

When the report opens, as shown in Figure F, you'll see a header with basic system information followed by color-coded sections that indicate the severity of the problems that were detected. Pink indicates errors, yellow indicates warnings, and white indicates general information. You can use this report to make adjustments to your power-plan settings.

Figure F 368030-434-806.png The report is divided into three color-coded sections that provide details on the efficiency of your system's energy usage.

To delve even deeper into the power-management information contained in the report, you should download the "Using PowerCfg to Evaluate System Energy Efficiency" document from the Windows Hardware Developer Center. This document provides you with additional information on how to use the PowerCfg command as well as detailed explanations of how to understand and solve the reported energy-efficiency problems and warnings.