Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless not working on laptop

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

I have a HP Pavilion dv9810us notebook that will not connect to the internet through the wireless card. If i plug in the network cable it connects just fine. The light on the laptop that indicates whether the network card is enable, stays orange no matter what position its on. I purchased and replaced the internal network card but it would still not connect, nor did the light turn blue when sliding the switch. I then bough a wireless usb adapter and it would still not connect to the internet through the adapter. I tested the adapter on my other computer and it was able to recognize the local networks with ease. I've update all the drivers and done all windows updates but no luck. I performed a system restore today and it would still not connect to my wireless network, with both the internal and usb wireless device. It will not even detect the 10 wireless network that are in my area with the either device. Any help is appreciated. 

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

What is the OS, please?  Any flags in the Device Manager for any devices?

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Windows Vista 32-bit, and there are not flag in device manage . Under network adapter it shows NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller with not flags. Also a performed a System recovery to factory setting and not a Windows System Restore.  

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

If you did a Factory restore and have updated drivers for the USB wireless adapter,  hmmmm  If you attach the USB adapter, does it show up in the Device Manager?

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Yes did a factory reset. Not the usb adapter dosent show up and the application that comes with the adapter has an X on it and when i hover over it it says "no Edimax 11n USB Wireless LAN"

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Okay, just trying to get the sequence of events in order here:

You reset the laptop to Factory Default ( returned it to only have what was installed when it came Out Of the Box; the hard drive was formatted and the OS [and other third party OEM software] was loaded on the hard drive )

You restarted the laptop and tried to use the internal wireless adapter

You then installed and tried the USB wireless adapter

Is this sequence correct?

Also, have you ever updated the Bios for this machine?  Is there any settings there to disable / enable wireless connections in the Bios?