Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Might still have trojan [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

War Man

War Man

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Please note I am using my Playstation3 for safety but can us my PC if need be.

2 weeks ago, Malware Bytes detected so many objects(including Trojan.SCTMP), which is unusual as I almost never get anything detected with malware bytes. So I quarantined the stuff and found it at least messed with proxy internet settings which I fixed.

2 weeks later and Microsoft Security Essentials acts up. Every time I started it up, it disappeared 1-5 seconds later. I figured uninstalling and reinstalling would fix the problem, but unfortunately it did not. So, as an impatient idiot, I uninstalled it again(through control panel) and decided to try Avast. Unfortunately, every time I try to scan with Avast, I get this "Unable to start scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper" message. I really need my PC fixed in two days, but, I don't know what to do. Should I just delete everything in my computer? There will be a few unrecoverable files unless you have suggestions, but they aren't important.

Few notes:

PC OS is Windows 7

I already changed email password(through PS3)

I did not make any financial transactions online

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Hi there first I will need to have a look see

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Select  additions at the bottom
  • Press Scan button.
    frst.JPG
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from. 
  • Please attach both logs generated.

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Typing on PC this time in safe mode.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK on completion of this run could you reboot to normal mode and let me know how it is behaving

Download the attached Fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST

Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

THEN

From Normal mode

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

You wanted me to do the fix log thing in safe mode while I do the adware stuff in normal mode right?

Anyway, here is the fixlog for starters. I'll boot to normal mode and get adware cleaner. Do I need to uninstall avast first?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

No, no need to disable Avast  

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Didn't see any log on my desktop, so I went to the adware cleaner folder and found 3 different logs. 1 in the Quarantine folder, other 2 at only the C:\AdwCleaner

Anyway, PC seems to be behaving normal now, I can also scan with avast.

Attached File  AdwCleanerR0.txt   3KB   306 downloadsAttached File  AdwCleanerS0.txt   3.02KB   229 downloadsAttached File  Quarantine.txt   3.88KB   286 downloads

Edited by War Man, 05 July 2014 - 02:43 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK a final sweep for orphans now I feel

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop
Install the progamme and select update
Once it has updated select Settings > Detection and Protection
Tick Scan for rootkits

MBAMsettings.JPG

Go back to the Dashboard and select Scan Now

MBAMScan.JPG

If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button, MBAM will ask for a reboot.

MBAMReboot.JPG

MBAMLog.JPG

On completion of the scan (or after the reboot)  select View Detailed Log
Select   Export >  Select text file and save to the desktop
Attach/Post that log

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Scanned in safe mode and detected nothing

Attached File  scanlog.txt   1.03KB   301 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
How is the computer behaving in normal mode, any problems ?

Advertisements

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Little slower than usual, also find it odd that the remove bookmark button for mozilla firefox doesn't have any text. Other than those I haven't found anything else odd so far.

Thank you for your help.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

The speed may be cured by running a defragment on the hard drive

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

delfix.JPG

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

CryptoPrevent.JPG

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave:

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

So, do I keep keep, uninstall , or just disable java? I don't believe I have any program that needs it, I'll check later. Already disabled Java stuff on web browser.

Any recommendations on firewalls?

Edited by War Man, 08 July 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you do not need it then I would recommend that you uninstall. I have never had Java on my system and rarely encounter any problems :)

As for firewall if you are behind a router then the windows one is more than adequate

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Scanned with Avast for the first time(in normal mode, as I can't scan avast in safe mode apparently) and detected 5 items, I quarantined them as I am not sure they are really malware. Trying to find where to save a log, all the search results I got to tell me log location were outdated.