Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why are there so many duplicate operators for my PC?

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

How can I reduce these operator profiles for my PC - why are there so many?

Attached Thumbnails

• why so many.JPG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

those aren't duplicate operators....just different permissions to different places. are you experiencing any actual issues?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

But its only one program that I am in?

I am sick of having all different permissions....why cant I have full control over my own pc on all levels?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

you didn't answer the most important question....are you actually experiencing any issues?

permissions are automatically set (in general) to the least permissive set as a security measure. this is relatively new for windows. you used to just get full on do what you want rights everywhere and people wrote viruses and malware that exploited that (which is where the idea that windows is insecure comes from). if your user has full rights to absolutely everything, then so does any program running as that user......like a virus that would like to delete every file on your computer. if your user doesn't have explicit rights to those files....it can't be deleted that way.

so, if you're not having any actual issues, leave the permissions alone. they're there for a reason

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

yes I experience alot of weird issues...too many to number.

One is permissions issues all the time....you dont have permision to do this...you dont have permission to do that....

You never answered my question...why so many in one program.......windows movie maker?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

an example of what "you don't have permission to do this, you don't have permission to do that" would help narrow down whether it's expected behavior or not

as for "why so many" permissions on one program...there's actually only 4 entities there. there's the everyone group, the users group, administrator and a system account. the one with the long hex code is likely a legacy permission from a deleted user. there are multiple permission types listed there, but not a single one that is a deny permission entry.

so again, I ask you...are you having a specific issue with movie maker?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Well, I can let you know when I get stopped from doing something again but why should I be...its my pc?

You counted 4...I counted 8 and some seem to be duplicate????

Who is the special person....can that be removed?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

it depends on what you're being stopped from doing. security permissions are there to protect your system from unwanted modifications or to stop a virus from running rampant on your system (or to prevent someone who doesn't particularly know what they're doing from deleting something important)

there are only 4 users mentioned in your image. there are different permission levels which accounts for why you're seeing some of the users twice...which is how file permissions are displayed. some of the entries are also explaining where the permissions were inherited from

the user with the long numerical name is most likely a deleted user (could be a corrupted user account...but that's not specifically likely). you could remove that user's permissions from that folder....but it's not necessary. the user doesn't exist, it's an orphaned entry in the security stuff and won't cause problems in any way. there's no reason to be concerned about it.

again, as a corporate network administrator....who's job deals with file permissions DAILY...there is EXACTLY zero wrong with the permissions in the screenshot you posted. there are EXACTLY zero permissions being denied to ANY user on your computer to the file you chose to look at the permissions of.