Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless access to my network - hardware advice please

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

My desktop pc is in bedroom upstairs and was connected to my router which was downstairs with mains homeplug devices. I experienced intermittent loss of internet signal for various lengths of time. I then moved the router upstairs and again lost signal intermittently. A lot of the times, the computers that connected wirelessly remained connected whilst my connection was lost.

Now, I have had fibre broadband installed and again experiencing intermittent dropouts. The modem/router is installed downstairs and my desktop pc upstairs, and I connect with the mains home plug adaptors (new ones). Again I experience intermittent loss of internet signal for various lengths of time, whilst the wireless pc's remain connected. I have replaced the ethernet cables and new box on my phone line to no avail. Tried new home plug adaptors and made no difference. My desktop pc is months old and don't think there is a problem with the mobo, it would be expensive and a nightmare to replace. So my next shot is to convert my desktop pc to wiress to communicate with the modem/router downstairs.

Can anyone recommend a wireless device that I can plug in to my desktop pc so thaat I can now communicate wirelessly with the modem/router downstairs. It would need to have a good signal transmit/receive as there is quite a bit of distance and walls between the pc and router.

Any help on the problem to hand would also be welcome.

TIA

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello BIGEYE

If you have USB 3.0 ports (your computer is only months old which suggests that it may have) the device here has 100m internal coverage and 300m external coverage.

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Thanks, looks like just what I need.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

Other things that can affect your internet connection include anti virus software and firewalls etc, can I ask what you presently use.

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Panda internet security on all devices, 1 x desktop & 2 x laptops. Laptops connect wireless with no problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Panda is not a particular hog on system resources so I would not suspect it as being the cause of your present internet connection issue/s, which is at least a + when it comes to using a wireless USB device in the future.