Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant redirects, pop-ups, unable to use internet at times [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Hi Joanne,

It is quite possible that avast! anti-virus is simply unsuited for your system. I have had no problems with the programme; likewise, I know many others with the same experience as mine. 

Please provide an update on your computer. Are you still experiencing freezing/lockups? Are you still experiencing issues connecting to the Internet? If these issues persist, we may take the route of reverting back to before avast! was installed (by selecting the System Restore Point created). However, please do not do anything for now. 

Avast found a threat. Now it is scanning the "boot sector"? If I remember correctly. Will continue in the morning.

Do you know what threat was detected? Please try to locate the scan log, and post the contents in your next reply. This article may help.

OTL won't download either.  It's like there is a setting that is keeping redirects from enabling... does that make sense?

Have you installed NoScript? 

Trying to install WOT... the screen says it isn't enabled.  When I look at I don't see a notification bar.  In internet options, it show's enabled...  I don't see a WOT toolbar

WOT is more of an icon that toolbar. If you perform a Google search, do you see orbs next to each search listing?

pBX8F0w.png

Advertisements

jbcteacher

jbcteacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
IE is still intermittent. Sometimes it freezes for long periods of time. I haven't installed no script. He doesn't use Firefox. Should he?

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
Hi Joanne,

Were you experiencing freezing before removing Ad-Aware/installing avast! anti-virus? If not, we'll perform a System Restore. 

He doesn't use Firefox. Should he?

Firefox is generally considered to be a more secure browser. The choice is yours at the end of the day.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
Hello Joanne,

Do you still require help?

jbcteacher

jbcteacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I think we are good. Thank you

CatByte

CatByte

GeekU Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 2,705 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.