Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password for firefox and programs

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I'm looking to have a password for firefox when I start the program up so that other people can't look at my bookmarks. Any ideas?

Advertisements

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I'm looking to have a password for firefox when I start the program up so that other people can't look at my bookmarks. Any ideas?

Firefox doesn't have such a feature built in but you may acheive it by installing this addon Link.
Best thing is a separate Windows Logon User Account for each user of that PC and / or one for "guest" users. That will provide far more privacy.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Thanks for the link. Not sure if thats what I want though.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
You can post back after checking. You have the option of having two different profiles for two different users.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Useful, but as I suspected not what I wanted and would mean I was having to encrypt and decyrpt links all the time. Also like a reviewing said it doesnt have a master password to prevent others adding password to your links.

I was looking for something when firefox boots up meaning other people would have to use IE which would have none of my links. Probably tons of ways round that anyway if possible

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Useful, but as I suspected not what I wanted and would mean I was having to encrypt and decyrpt links all the time. Also like a reviewing said it doesnt have a master password to prevent others adding password to your links.

I was looking for something when firefox boots up meaning other people would have to use IE which would have none of my links. Probably tons of ways round that anyway if possible

Oh, that is pretty easy with a software called Password Door Manager. You should not forget the password in any case, if you forget it's really not easy to bypass it because it has a kernel running at the startup. It's not free, I have the pro version and it works fine. If you don't want to spend money on this you have the option of trying out DeskLock and Empathy (postcardware) which I haven't tried.