Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted W7 OS partition. Linux help?

partition OS W7

• Please log in to reply

digga

digga

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

My pc is a Chillblast Fusion Whisper about 3 years old. It runs W7 Home Premium 64 bit. 8Gb RAM. Intel i7 2600K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.3 Ghz. Asus P8Z68-V-LE Motherboard. Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024Mb Phantom Edition. SSD Caching Configuration. 40Gb Corsair Force Solid State Drive.

My Knowledge of computers is not great. I was persuaded to buy this spec by a family friend, pc expert who has since left the country and is un-contactable. I was encouraged to buy this machine because the SSD and Intel SMART Response SSD caching configuration were offered free.

I have had some great help from one of your colleagues, JSntgRVR, as I found an error message "missing operating system" on my W7 machine, even though I had not introduced any new hardware or software. The topic can be found under "Missing Operating System" in Security>Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal.

JSntgRVR's efforts led to this conclusion:

"the OS partition seems corrupted. Someone or something change the partition to type 06, which it is a partition used for DOS and FAT partitions, and that seems to have corrupted the partition. Despite changing it back to 07, which is the right type for an NT file system, the issue persisted. the partition cannot be read, nor we can write to it".

I now have Linux Puppy Live CD running. I can simply(?!) reinstall W7, as I have all my data (as far as I remember) backed up, but it seems better to try to fix the problem, especially since I am learning new things, starting from a low point where my knowledge is limited.

I would appreciate any advice from this forum.

Thank you.

Link to "missing operating system" > http://www.geekstogo...-2#entry2415738

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
"the OS partition seems corrupted. Someone or something change the partition to type 06, which it is a partition used for DOS and FAT partitions, and that seems to have corrupted the partition. Despite changing it back to 07, which is the right type for an NT file system, the issue persisted. the partition cannot be read, nor we can write to it".

Sense no one is replying to your topic, I will give MHO. I don't see any way you can fix this problem. If you were infected and things were changed and corrupted as was diagnosed by the malware team, it would be best to restore to factory. You can retrieve your data with Linux Puppy. I would never trust a OS that was corrupted by malware like your OS was!

Those are my thoughts!

digga

digga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

OK. Thank you for this advice. I will now try to reinstall W7.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Have you any Data on the Drive/s you want to save?

digga

digga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi.

I have SOME data to retrieve but most is backed up to external drive so I am not going to bother.

I would welcome your advice, however, on another Linux Topic. I have been having a look at Puppy Live CD and Mint Cinnamon Live CD. Strangely, I had more problems with Puppy (e.g unable to install a browser: unable to get online etc.) I found Mint much easier to navigate and it's obviously a more serious OS. Two problems I have with Mint.

1. I can close down Puppy, save everything to flash drive and go, taking my OS, data and settings with me. I don't see any way to do this in Mint Cinnamon edition. Is it only with Puppy that you can 'wrap up and go' or are there other versions that allow this?

2. I have my TV as the monitor and sit some way away. I need to have large icons and extra large font. I have used the Accessibity facility but it only gives a small increase. Any suggestions?

I am delaying reinstalling W7 as I think I'd like to have a version of Linux installed as well. Might as well do the whole job in one.The test available online shows Mint and Mandriva most suitable for me, so I'll probably go with one of those when I get myself sorted - and keep my Puppy live CD handy!.

Thank you for any advice you can give on my two problems with Mint.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I can't help you with Mint as I have not used it.   There are so manu flavours, some very heavy and very light, like Puppy (Sea Monkey) the one I use from live CD.   Networking is Auto, Good browser, I mostly use for Data recovery and plug ins can can repair the windows system.   With Sea Monkey, if you finalize the initial burn, you cannot save your setting, might be the same with the ones you tried.

Have a look at the latest Slacko release.

About, > http://distro.ibibli...-Slacko-5.7.htm

Browse the topics at the top of this page. > http://puppylinux.or....htm#lucidpuppy

Download, > http://slacko.01mick...m/download.html

digga

digga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thank you for this.