Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! Does Windows or McAfee Antivirus Track CD to USB Drive Activ

Virus Mcafee Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

pichon123

pichon123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Can anyone help?

I have a computer with Windows XP. I need to know what activity does Windows XP or Mcafee for Enterprise Antivirus track when using a DVD-ROM to transfer the files contained to a USB flash drive.  This is the scenario: I transferred files from a DVD to a USB flash drive by opening the DVD in my computer, highlighting all folders and then dragging them to the USB flash several minutes into the transfer, I received an alert from Mcafee for malicious software.  As soon as I received this alert, I ejected the DVD and the flash drive.  

I looked at the scan log for Mcafee and there were two files in the DVD that were recognized as malicious software by Mcafee, more specifically a key generator.  I was not aware that this file existed in the DVD because the DVD contains thousands of files and my previous computers had never detected it as malicious software, probably because I don't have a robust antivirus.   What I need to know if there is some sort of log that Windows or Mcafee keeps in memory when you access the DVD to transfer files to a USB flash drive.  Or does windows only track activity when you are writing to the Hard drive.  I am assuming that DVD to USB flash activity is occurring through RAM memory, is this correct?  I know Mcafee will track any access to DVD flash drives because of the real time scan feature, but does Mcafee only logs the files it alerted on or every single file it scans?

Thanks for any help on this.

Advertisements

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
Hi pichon123,

What I need to know if there is some sort of log that Windows or Mcafee keeps in memory when you access the DVD to transfer files to a USB flash drive.

You seem to have already found the log you are looking for--the scan log.

Or does windows only track activity when you are writing to the Hard drive.

Various security programs operate differently, so it would be quite difficult to give you specifics. However, in general, they have a few things in common--majority of them scan removable media the moment you plug them in. Those with real-time protection typically also scan the memory during read or write operations.

I know Mcafee will track any access to DVD flash drives because of the real time scan feature, but does Mcafee only logs the files it alerted on or every single file it scans?

To my knowledge, it would only count the total files it has scanned, and provide complete information for files it has detected. As far as the program's manual is concerned, it describes the log content as follows:

...an alert notifies you when the scan is finished, showing items scanned, items detected, items fixed, and items remaining.

There is a chance you might find a real-time log of some sort, but the last time I have had the program installed, no such thing existed. You can find all of the logs it keeps at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Logs.

May I know as to why you need this information? Are you worried that the infected files could have been stored elsewhere?