Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows from old hard drive to new bigger drive

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

oh dear!!!! the cloning finished so i swapped drives, the system as booted up but in computer its saying Local Disk © 90.9GB Free of 148GB? i dont understand as i have just cloned my original c drive to a 750GB. to be clear i have defo got the 750GB wired up to the c drive. HELP

Please post a screenshot of the Disk Manager showing the disk, make sure you expand the window size do show every partition.

Advertisements

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

sorry but how do I do a screen shot? and im I right in assuming you want me to screen shot the page that comes up when I click on computer?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

sorry but how do I do a screen shot? and im I right in assuming you want me to screen shot the page that comes up when I click on computer?

To open Disk Manager:

- click Start
- on the search box type diskmgmt.msc
- click diskmgmt.msc on the search results to open the Disk Manager
- expand the window to show all drives and blocks then take a picture

To take a picture of the window you can use the Snipping Tool included on Windows 7.

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

iv figured out how to print screen but I don't know how to get it on here? many thanks for your patience, maria

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

iv figured out how to print screen but I don't know how to get it on here? many thanks for your patience, maria

No problem.

Capture only the window and not the full screen to get a smaller image in terms of file size.

To attach the image click the button More Replay Options (bottom right), under Attach Files click Browse and select the file you want using the File Upload Window. Click the button Attach This File, next click Add to Post option near the file you just uploaded.

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

is this right?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png
  • Untitled.png

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

is this any better

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

The first post was Ok, you add the attach two times I suppose...

You cloned the disk without any change on the partitions, now to use the remaining free space 549.59 GB inside the Disk Manager right click the C: partition block and click Extend Volume, adjust the values to use all the free space.

The is a guide here explaining what you need to do, follow the Option One.

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Phew...I or should I say you have done it. thank you so very much for all your time and patience, much appreciated, maria

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Phew...I or should I say you have done it. thank you so very much for all your time and patience, much appreciated, maria

No, you have. I only provided the guidance. :geek: :laughing:

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I say good job "Both of you" :yeah:

Now all you need to do is extend the C drive or format the unallocated space, assign it a drive letter and use it for what ever your needs are!

Edited by donetao, 17 July 2014 - 09:37 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello maria!!

Are you aware that you were only using 150GB of your old HD?? 550GB is unallocated and is not being used.

You could format it, assign it a drive letter and use it for storage or for what ever you want.

It's just setting there and not being used. That's a big waste of HD space :laughing:

You have plenty of free space on your new drive. I'm really wondering why you thought you needed a bigger drive when you weren't even using all the space on your old drive???

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

im a little confused donetao :upset: (doesn't take much) I can assure you. my old HD was only 150GB, I cloned it over to my new HD that is 750GB. any way you know best, So would you please tell my special little mind how to " format it and assign it a drive letter" pretty please, many thanks maria

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello maria!

I'm just going by your screen shots. Disk 1 which has your OS on it (C drive) it has 549.59 GB of unallocated space. Meaning that space not been formatted. You can right click on that partition and format it and then assign  it a drive letter. Or you can extend your C drive out to recover the unallocated space.

I would format it and assign it a drive letter, but I don't know your needs.

Disk 0 looks like your old drive but the decimal point appears to be in the wrong place.

To tell you the truth your screen shot and what your saying doesn't make sense to me after I have looked at your screen shot closely; so you are not the only one confused at this time. Your screen shot is showing two disks. Disk 1 has your OS on it and I have no clue what disk 0 has on it.

I'm very sorry that you are confused and I probably have made that even worse. I'm confused also. I think it's the way windows is assigning the numbers.

I do know that the HD with C assigned is where your OS is, and it has 549.59 GB of unallocated space that you can format and use.

I hope someone will reply and unconfuse both of us. 

PS see post number 23 by SleepyDude!

Can you attach a new screen shot please and see if I'm still confused?

Edited by donetao, 19 July 2014 - 03:13 AM.

mariaj

mariaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

hope its worked/

Attached Thumbnails

• screen shot.jpg