Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get my .swf files to play?

swf adobe shock wave

• Please log in to reply

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I have some .swf files that I used to play on my Android device. They stopped playing and I copied them to my computer and tried to play with the default browser Firefox. It didn't respond, I updated my flash player, there's no sign of playing. I downloaded the standalone players from Macromedia and Windows flash player but in vain. Can someone please give an idea to open them? They are really important to me. I even tried swf player from Softpedia.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Google is my friend! Hope this helps!

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-SWF-Files

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Hello! Google is my friend! Hope this helps!

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-SWF-Files

Thanks for the reply donetao, I've already tried all of those mentioned ways on the Wiki link you provided.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Bob! I don't have any SWF files that I know of, but Internet Explorer is the default program???

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello Bob! I don't have any SWF files that I know of, but Internet Explorer is the default program???

Internet Explorer can indeed read .SWF files. In order to be able to run .SWF files in Internet Explorer, you must have the "Adobe Shockwave Player" program installed on your computer and it must be enabled on Internet Explorer too. Also, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox can open these types of files too :

Installation : http://get.adobe.com/en/shockwave/ (Be careful and DO NOT accept the promotional offers with that download and installation)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Aura! Your link does not exist!!

You can find Adobe Shockwave Player here without the promotional offers from a Down Load Manager(I hate Down Load Managers)

http://filehippo.com...nload_shockwave

Edited by donetao, 08 July 2014 - 10:24 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello Aura! Your link does not exist!!
You can find Adobe Shockwave Player here without the promotional offers from a Down Load Manager(I hate Down Load Managers)
http://filehippo.com...nload_shockwave

My bad. I switched the "fr" to "en" because my webpage opens in French and I thought it would change it to English, but apparently this is the good link :

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

N/P But I like my link better. It doesn't use a Down Load Manager that adds PUP's to your PC even though you untick them. Down Load Managers are bad dudes and I try to avoid sites that use them. CNET is very bad about using them and I have quit using CNET to down load freeware, It's all about advertisements and $$$$.

So far filehippo does not use these Down Load Managers, I try to put the word out about Down Load Managers every chance I get and hope the word gets spread around and people stop using sites that use them. :wave:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

N/P But I like my link better. It doesn't use a Down Load Manager that adds PUP's to your PC even though you untick them. Down Load Managers are bad dudes and I try to avoid sites that use them. CNET is very bad about using them and I have quit using CNET to down load freeware, It's all about advertisements and $$$$.
So far filehippo does not use these Down Load Managers, I try to put the word out about Down Load Managers every chance I get and hope the word gets spread around and people stop using sites that use them. :wave:

I can't really call this installer a "Download Manager" as it's an official Adobe download link for an official Adobe product. Also, if you uncheck the option BEFORE clicking on "Download", you won't get the bundled program. A Download Manager HAVE the bundled program anyway and sometimes gives you the chance to NOT install it. If you uncheck the promotional offer from the link I provided, you are getting a standard installer and not a "Download Manager" as the .exe that you,re getting IS the installer, while a Download Manager download the installer that you have to execute after.
Long story short, the download link I provided do not contains a Download Manager but rather a direct installer in the end.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Also, if you uncheck the option BEFORE clicking on "Download", you won't get the bundled program

Hello ! Don't want to get off topic, but the above statement is not always true. Even if you uncheck; the bundled programs will still be installed some times.

That's why I don't recommend any down load link that uses these Down Load Managers.

When I clicked on your link, it wanted to install a plug-in therefore I did not continue.

I fight these Down Load Managers every day and I'm fed up with their tactics. All I can do is warn people.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture53.JPG

Edited by donetao, 08 July 2014 - 03:47 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Also, if you uncheck the option BEFORE clicking on "Download", you won't get the bundled program

Hello ! Don't want to get off topic, but the above statement is not always true. Even if you uncheck; the bundled programs will still be installed some times.
That's why I don't recommend any down load link that uses these Down Load Managers.
When I clicked on your link, it wanted to install a plug-in therefore I did not continue.
I fight these Down Load Managers every day and I'm fed up with their tactics. All I can do is warn people.

ERM ... Is it me or that "plugin" that you need is either Shockwave or Adobe Flash Player ... When you should have both in your browsers as they are needed lol ... As I said, this isn't a Download Manager but an Installer. Adobe products are legit, its just their promotions that aren't ....

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Any browser with the Shock wave plugin can generally play a .swf file. All my browsers have the plugin but they just don't respond at all. I don't know why :headscratch:

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Internet Explorer can indeed read .SWF files. In order to be able to run .SWF files in Internet Explorer, you must have the "Adobe Shockwave Player" program installed on your computer and it must be enabled on Internet Explorer too. Also, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox can open these types of files too :

Installation : http://get.adobe.com/en/shockwave/ (Be careful and DO NOT accept the promotional offers with that download and installation)

I had the plugin in my browsers and Shockwave on my computer but I don't know why :headscratch:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I had the plugin in my browsers and Shockwave on my computer but I don't know why :headscratch:

Are the plugins currently enabled in your web browsers ? Can you validate ?

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Are the plugins currently enabled in your web browsers ? Can you validate ?

Yes, they are set to "Always activated" except the Java one.