Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to reset Windows XP to factory settings

windows xp factory settings

• Please log in to reply

linings

linings

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello, I have a Windows XP professional 2002 version laptop (an Inspiron 6000) with service pack 3 and I was wondering how I could reset it to factory settings. I have tried ctrl + F11 but there is no option that says 'repair your computer'. I do not have any recovery disks, and I can't use system restore. You see, I have accidentally deleted files that I need for the audio (like the start-up noises, everything I listen to online works) and I have no restore point prior to that. Can anyone help me please??

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi linings :)

First of all, if you want to do a "Factory Restore" on your computer, we need to make sure that the "Recovery" partition is still there. This partition contains a factory Windows XP Professional image that will be used to reinstall the OS.

Right-click on "My Computer" and then select "Manage". Then click on "Disk Management" and open the window in Full Mode. Take a screenshot and attach it to your next post.

If you don't know how to take a screenshot and post it on a forum, tell me and I'll guide you through the process :)

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi linings :)

First of all, if you want to do a "Factory Restore" on your computer, we need to make sure that the "Recovery" partition is still there. This partition contains a factory Windows XP Professional image that will be used to reinstall the OS.

Right-click on "My Computer" and then select "Manage". Then click on "Disk Management" and open the window in Full Mode. Take a screenshot and attach it to your next post.

If you don't know how to take a screenshot and post it on a forum, tell me and I'll guide you through the process :)

I don't know how to post a screenshot in the forum, so please do tell me. :) I appreciate your help!

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

And this is how to post a screenshot here:  http://www.geekstogo...t-a-screenshot/

Best of luck with your system. :geek:

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Okay, I attached a screenshot to this post. (Thanks anyways dbreeze!)

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I think that your "New Volume" is the Recovery partition, but I might be wrong too. Can you access that partition via "My Computer" ? Do you see it ?

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I think that your "New Volume" is the Recovery partition, but I might be wrong too. Can you access that partition via "My Computer" ? Do you see it ?

Yes, I can access it and I can see it.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Yes, I can access it and I can see it.

Can you tell me what it contains ? The name of some files and folders in it ?

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Well, the folders have weird names like: 1d9b46033f5fb25c6291ebb7c580, but there's also an image of a disk and next to it it says:

Setup

Virtual PC 2007 Setup

Microsoft Corporation

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Well, the folders have weird names like: 1d9b46033f5fb25c6291ebb7c580, but there's also an image of a disk and next to it it says:

Setup
Virtual PC 2007 Setup
Microsoft Corporation

This totally looks like your Recovery partition. You can use it to call a Factory Restore on your computer, and I guess this is what you want.

The procedure can be found here, under "For Windows XP" :

http://en.kioskea.ne...-vista-or-win-7

You have to press Ctrl + F11 at the same time (smash them), not only F11 :)
If it doesn't work, I guess your Factory Restore partition has been damaged and therefore you won't be able to call one on your laptop, you'll have to do a clean reinstallation of Windows XP.

Advertisements

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Setup
Virtual PC 2007 Setup
Microsoft Corporation

This totally looks like your Recovery partition. You can use it to call a Factory Restore on your computer, and I guess this is what you want.

If it doesn't work, I guess your Factory Restore partition has been damaged and therefore you won't be able to call one on your laptop, you'll have to do a clean reinstallation of Windows XP.

Yeah, ctrl + F11 isn't working...how do I do a clean reinstallation? I have my computer's product key, just not the cd.

Edited by linings, 10 July 2014 - 10:28 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Setup
Virtual PC 2007 Setup
Microsoft Corporation

Yeah, ctrl + F11 isn't working...how do I do a clean reinstallation? I have my computer's product key, just not the cd.

If you want to do a clean reinstallation of your Windows XP OS, you'll have to get an installation CD for the version you had when you installed it, install it and use your product key to activate that installation. Do you know anyone who still have an installation CD for Windows XP Professional ?

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Setup
Virtual PC 2007 Setup
Microsoft Corporation

If you want to do a clean reinstallation of your Windows XP OS, you'll have to get an installation CD for the version you had when you installed it, install it and use your product key to activate that installation. Do you know anyone who still have an installation CD for Windows XP Professional ?

Unfortunately, no.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
That's quite unfortunate.
There's a way to create a Windows XP installation CD from a working Windows XP installation, but it's a bit complicated and you need to have the i386 folder.
See this tutorial here :

http://www.howtohave...setupdisk.shtml

Edited by Aura, 10 July 2014 - 10:50 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I don't believe that is a recovery partition marked as "new volumne". Its to big. My experiance is that they are marked something,

And besides, you won't be able to acces it through "my computer". Its protected so it does not get corrupt by people deleting/ installing stuff there.

Try again with the restore.

Reboot the laptop and hold the control key and continue tapping the F11 key. You have to hit the sequence just right.

My feeling is that there is no recovery partition. You also have a "unallocated" partition so that tells me that someone has been messing with the partitions.

I would also like you to take a look in device manager for any unknown devices. they will have red or yellow marks on them.

to get to device manager: right click on my computer and choose manage. click and open device manager.

Take a screen shot and post it here.