Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to reset Windows XP to factory settings

windows xp factory settings

• Please log in to reply

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Yeah sure no problem :)
First of all, do you have a blank CD you can use to burn the Windows XP .iso on ?

Yes, I have tons of blank CDs do they need to be Rewritbale? I only have CD-Rs

Edited by linings, 15 July 2014 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Yes that will do.
However, the only issue I have is that we have no idea if these .iso are complete and working or not ...
So I don't want to make you wipe your whole HDD for nothing you know.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Yes that will do.
However, the only issue I have is that we have no idea if these .iso are complete and working or not ...
So I don't want to make you wipe your whole HDD for nothing you know.

Can I back up my system somehow just in case it doesn't work?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You can't really as we would be wiping the whole HDD. Backing up your whole system would mean to create a system image on it and reinstall it on your HDD if it ever fails.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

You can't really as we would be wiping the whole HDD. Backing up your whole system would mean to create a system image on it and reinstall it on your HDD if it ever fails.

Oh, that's too bad. is there a way to find out if the .iso files work?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Oh, that's too bad. is there a way to find out if the .iso files work?

What I would do is to create a VM and use the .iso to install Windows XP on it but I doubt you have the space nor the specs on your computer to make it happen :/ Maybe on a more recent one ?

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I'm sorry, I'm not all that knowledged about computers.

How do I create a Virtual Machine? And what did you mean by 'a more recent one'?  :confused:

Again, sorry!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

How do I create a Virtual Machine? And what did you mean by 'a more recent one'?  :confused:

Again, sorry!

By "recent one", I mean a computer that is less old and therefore that might have better hardware/specs than the one that you are currently using !
In order to create a Virtual Machine, you need a VM Software (like VirtualBox or VMware Player) and after creating (setting up) the VM, you need to install an OS (Operating System on it), in that case, Windows XP SP2 using the .iso that you have.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Again, sorry!

By "recent one", I mean a computer that is less old and therefore that might have better hardware/specs than the one that you are currently using !
In order to create a Virtual Machine, you need a VM Software (like VirtualBox or VMware Player) and after creating (setting up) the VM, you need to install an OS (Operating System on it), in that case, Windows XP SP2 using the .iso that you have.

I have a desktop computer that runs windows vista (32-bit). Could that work?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Again, sorry!

It depends of it's specs. How much RAM and what CPU does it have if you know what I'm talking about ?

Advertisements

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Again, sorry!

It depends of it's specs. How much RAM and what CPU does it have if you know what I'm talking about ?

Yes, I know what you're talking about!  :yes:

My RAM is 3.00 GB and I have my proccesor is an Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You can totally create a VM on that computer and allocate 1GB of RAM to it, it will be more than enough to handle Windows XP SP2 32-bits :)

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

You can totally create a VM on that computer and allocate 1GB of RAM to it, it will be more than enough to handle Windows XP SP2 32-bits :)

Great! Do you know where I can get VM software?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I wrote a whole tutorial on how to create a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox, which is a free VM software, do you want me to post it for you ? :)

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I wrote a whole tutorial on how to create a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox, which is a free VM software, do you want me to post it for you ? :)

Yes, please :)