Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE10 & IE11 locking up

• Please log in to reply

scubatony1

scubatony1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have had a problem that goes back to IE 10 after it was installed my computer fell over, so I contacted Microsoft who supplied me with a link to a removal program.

I then reverted back to IE9, and have been happy for a while.

Recently I have been getting messages etc "your browser is out of date" and various others all along the same line.

So Installed IE11 and yes you guessed it, - - - it fell over again.

Each time the computer has fallen over I have removed the update i.e. IE10 and then used "system restore"

So IE10 , removal program and then "system restore"

Next IE11 just system restore

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and IE9.

I must add periodically when IE9 is open I get the "not responding" message.

Now if the IE9 (not responding), IE10 & IE11 problems are somewhow interlinked that would be interesting.

I did run the program to fix compatabilities issues,but nothing found

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi scubatony1 :)

The "Your browser is out of date" message is now widely used by browser hijacker (malwares) to make you download random add-ons like a media player or browser extension. In order to confirm that this isn't your current issue, can you please take a screenshot of the message when it appears and post it here so we can validate ? If you are indeed infected, I'll recommend you to get assisted in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section instead.

Let me know !

scubatony1

scubatony1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The "Your browser is out of date" message is now widely used by browser hijacker (malwares) to make you download random add-ons like a media player or browser extension. In order to confirm that this isn't your current issue, can you please take a screenshot of the message when it appears and post it here so we can validate ? If you are indeed infected, I'll recommend you to get assisted in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section instead.

Let me know !

Hi There

Thanks for that

Your reply is very interesting, I must admit I had never considered that particular aspect.

Reference your line about the following; 

In order to confirm that this isn't your current issue, can you please take a screenshot of the message when it appears and post it here so we can validate.

This is not going to happen because I have now had my fingers burned TWICE, and now that you tell me it could be "browser hijackers etc. even more so I will not be installing IE 10 or IE 11.

In terms of Virus etc. I very much doubt that will happen due to the secuirty already in place and the updates and constant scanning etc.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Let me know !

Hi There
Thanks for that
Your reply is very interesting, I must admit I had never considered that particular aspect.
In order to confirm that this isn't your current issue, can you please take a screenshot of the message when it appears and post it here so we can validate.
This is not going to happen because I have now had my fingers burned TWICE, and now that you tell me it could be "browser hijackers etc. even more so I will not be installing IE 10 or IE 11.
In terms of Virus etc. I very much doubt that will happen due to the secuirty already in place and the updates and constant scanning etc.

Never underestimate malwares :)
I come from a forum where $5 can guarantee you a malware that bypass every Antivirus for at least a month. Fortunately, I'm not in this world and I'll dedicate my life to fight malwares and assist users infected with them. I just wanted to confirm that your "Your browser is out of date" message doesn't look like one of these :

http://malwaretips.c...-of-date-virus/
http://malwaretips.c...f-date-removal/
http://www.fixyourbr...be-out-of-date/

scubatony1

scubatony1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Let me know !

Hi There
Thanks for that

Never underestimate malwares :)
I come from a forum where $5 can guarantee you a malware that bypass every Antivirus for at least a month. Fortunately, I'm not in this world and I'll dedicate my life to fight malwares and assist users infected with them. I just wanted to confirm that your "Your browser is out of date" message doesn't look like one of these :

http://malwaretips.c...-of-date-virus/
http://malwaretips.c...f-date-removal/
http://www.fixyourbr...be-out-of-date/

Hi Thanks for that

I have yet to meet / see the antivirus software that gets / sees everything this is why we have updates.

I will not even click on any of those links (I don't do clicking), no in answer to your question, I was on a particular website that I have been a member of for some years and at the top it tells me

"your broswer is out of date download the latest version of Internet Explorer 10 now" as I say I don't do clicking, but it came up on two or three other sites unrelated to each other, so I went to the source, i.e. Microsoft.

Can't be any better than them can there.

I did this for IE10 ( I should have known better ) because I went back again for IE11, see above.

What I am going to do if fire up one of my spare laptops ( this runs Windows 7 ) and download from Microsoft IE10, if it falls over I am not bothered. 

I will post the results on here

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The more you're telling me about your issue, the more it seems like you've been browser hijacked to me and I'm serious.
I would really need to see what the message looks like or what the webpage you're being redirected on looks like to confirm that please.

scubatony1

scubatony1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have not been browser hijacked, so no need to worry on my part

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I have not been browser hijacked, so no need to worry on my part

May I ask you how you can be so sure of that ? No offence.
Even if it's true, it would still be a good idea to validate it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I would suggest that you go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning .

Start a new Topic and have them verify you are clean. You can then return here and we can further assist you.

scubatony1

scubatony1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The problem is now fixed

Thanks to everybody who contributed.

Turns out it was the monitor needed updated drivers 

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Glad you got it fixed. It is odd that it was video drivers though.

Thanks for letting us know.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

The problem is now fixed
Thanks to everybody who contributed.
Turns out it was the monitor needed updated drivers

... This is very weird to be honest. I've never encountered something like that before. Why would graphic drivers be related to random ads you receive in your web browser ? May I insist that you create a thread in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal to get checked by a Geek ? It cost nothing (free) and it will also help you in the end, you can be sure of that.

scubatony1

scubatony1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

no thanks, nobody goes on this machine except me

Edited by scubatony1, 14 July 2014 - 07:27 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

no thanks, nobody goes on this machine except me

The Geeks don't go on your machine. The assistance offered here isn't remote assistance but "logs assistance". They ask you to run tools and then to copy/paste the log they output in your thread and from there they analyze your system and give you fix-lists to use with powerful tools if needed.