Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seemingly dead USB Drive on Windows 7

USB No media

• Please log in to reply

AlanY

AlanY

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hi Geekstogo, 

My USB drive is a SD card holder from Daiso containing a 4GB MicroSD DNA Card. I use it to transfer music from my phone to computer. It was working fine all the time until this afternoon when my computer suddenly couldn't detect that USB drive, as if the USB drive was lost on radar. 

However, the USB drive icon is still visible on My Computer but it is now transparent, has no name and appear as "Removable Disk (E:)". I tried to click on it only to see a pop up that says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (E:)". Formatting the USB drive wasn't an option too.

My friend advised me to go to My Computer > Manage > Computer Management > Disk Management. I found out that the USB drive appear to be Disk 1, Removable (E:), but has No Media. Unlike Disk 0, it doesn't have any Unallocated or Primary Partition.  

Soon my friend advised me to check My Computer > Manage > Computer Management > Device Manager > USB Controllers. Apparently "USB Mass Storage Device" that belonged to my USB drive was good and up to date. My friend and I ran out of ideas.

Please advise. Thank you.

AlanY 

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

if it's detecting the USB device, but is telling you it has no media, it's more likely the SD card that has become undetectable.

step one is to try the device in another computer and see if it's detected correctly. if not, if you can try a different SD card in the USB adapter that will help eliminate the adapter

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hi dsenette,

Thank you for your advice. I tried the SD card on my phone and it works fine. It looks like the adapter is faulty. Is there anyway we can save it?

AlanY