Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean install on ASUS Tablet

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I am wondering if there is a way to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 on a Windows 8 tablet.

Tablet Model is ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C-C2.

It came originally with Windows 8 32bit. I was wanting to know if there is a possibility of doing this with a Windows 8.1 32bit Disc.

Now i know there is a way to hook up a portable optical drive with a cable called a USB OTG.
I was told by ASUS though i would not be able to boot from the optical drive like a PC or Laptop could and to be able to boot from this OS disc so i can do the clean install this way.

So if there is a way maybe by making a disc.image and putting it on it's MicroSD or running it directly from the disc, i am not sure how this would work running it directly from the disc wanting to do a custom install.

Question, is there any differences with the Windows 8 OS on the tablet now, compared to the Windows 8 OS on a disc usually used for a PC or Laptop ?

Now i know i can just update to Windows 8.1 from the microsoft store, i had issues downloading about 117 updates for Windows 8 on this tablet, taking hours and my WiFi connection is strong.

My first attempt became a failure, while rebooting to configure updates it said " Failure to configure updates rolling back changes".

This went on for all night and never resolved i had to do a Windows 8 reset to get system back and running. This is why i want to try this as an alternative if this next try of updating does not work.

ASUS said do a few at a time, not all at once of the updates. I am trying that now, but with even 10-18 updates it's already almost 2 hours running.

WiFi works fine, use modem on a Desktop and internet worked well on the Tablet too.

O.k. now this is just an alternative and to know if it is possible to do a clean custom install of Windows 8.1 on this Tablet.

But i did or might of found the issue with Windows update, i ran a Microsoft Fix It to troubleshoot and it found problems it resolved and i am trying to download updates now, some did work an went in and some failed. I was trying a few updates at a time, it seems to take forever. I need all these updates if i want to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Edited by jds63, 09 July 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Update : So far it looks that the Windows Update issue has been resolved, able to update close to 100 of the 115 updates for Windows 8 on this Tablet.

Again needed if i want to update to 8.1.

I have a recovery partition on this tablet which does take up 8GB of a 64GB Drive, doing these updates and what software is on system leaves me with 31GB left so far free, but i am not finished updating because didn't put Windows 8.1 upgrade on yet either.

Some of reasons why i thought of trying a clean install of Windows 8.1, free up some space, i do have a MicroSD slot also.

UPDATE:

All Windows 8 updates are complete, now installing Windows 8.1 update.

Edited by jds63, 10 July 2014 - 08:46 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Windows 8.1 update went in fine, tablet seems to be fixed with it's update problem.

Reasons i asked if there was a way to do a clean install with a Windows 8.1 disc.

If i ever need to do a system recovery from the recovery partition i would have to then go through updating Windows 8 again plus adding update to Win 8.1. I know i can use refresh and reset if it will fix problem i might have.

So i was just looking for also an easier route if i needed to, i have Windows 8.1 disc.

Edited by jds63, 11 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

http://forum.tabletp...dows-8-pro.html

Possibility worked for this OP.

Needed to have a USB OTG Cable

3-4 Port USB Hub

USB Bootable Flash Drive

USB Keyboard and mouse

Windows 8.1 32bit disc.

ASUS Drivers from support site

Have all these items

BIOS is UEFI, Seems from what i read other places that formatted to NTFS won't boot from it, Needs FAT32

Take it step by step if i attempt to do it, make sure it can work, do more research.

Anyone has input, much appreciated.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Update: for anybody interested to know that this can be done.

It can, i followed that link in my previous post all went as planned.

I made a USB UEFI Bootable Flash Drive,, i copied the contents of a Windows 8.1 32bit DVD to the flash drive.

Hooked the USB OTG Cable to the Tablet, connected a 4 port USB Hub, connected a keyboard,mouse and the USB Flash Drive.

Hit F8 on restart, entered the boot manager and booted from the USB Flash Drive, then the installation started.

After the install, everything was good, i had another USB Flash Drive with ASUS Driver Package, inserted that and started the app. it installed and i rebooted.

Did Windows Update and finished that, system is working good.

I did remove the recovery partition, some may want to keep it, when doing the clean install have the option to, but i believe it may not work anymore, so i removed it and also gained 8GB on the HD.

Hope this helps anyone interested in this topic.