Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU overheating and shutting down but heatsink is still cool

• Please log in to reply

Ferun

Ferun

• Pip
  • 9 posts

My computer has been overheating and shutting off for a while now. Usually when i am trying to play games, i have turned down all the possible video settings in Diablo 3 which is my game of choice these days. it will crash pretty much any time i reach a sustained CPU load of 90% or more. sometimes i can avoid it if the ambient temp is under 70.  The screen is from a free hardware monitor i have been using recently and as you can see the temp is already high and that is with less than 10% load on the CPU. I have recently replaced both 120mm fans front and back and the heatsink+fan on the CPU all are clean and air flow is good inside the case.  the PSU fan is also clean and working properly and there is another fan on the right side of the case pulling air out of the case. 

Honestly i don't understand why the censors are telling me the CPU is so hot. the heatsink is practically cold to the touch even with 100% load. yet the hardware monitor is reporting almost 100 Celsius around the time it shuts down. 

HW monitor screen.png

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

If the heatsink is cool, it tends to indicate that it is not transferring the heat from the CPU to the heatsink. Normally there is heatsink compound between the CPU and the heatsink to conduct the heat between the two.

Did you install the heatsink or did someone else do it? Do you know if it was installed properly?

Ferun

Ferun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I installed it myself and it came with some kind of arctic silver compound already applied in an X fashion on the contact surface of the heatsink below is a link to the one i purchased from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

Was there instructions? Did you spread it around?

On the link that you posted one person said it did not come with the heatsink compound.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_pc_0

It sounds like that might be the problem, which you need to get resolved to prevent damage to the CPU.

Ferun

Ferun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

yea, that seller i purchased it from i think  sold different products under the same page. So not every one got the exact same heatsink and fan. but mine did come with thermal paste already applied..  i do have half a syringe of thermal paste here so i might try re applying at some point. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday.

When you installed the cooler, did you completely remove and clean off the old TIM from the CPU top?

Did you receive the cooler as shown in the picture, or is it different?

Ferun

Ferun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I did remove the TIM with rubbing Alcohol from the CPU,  the fan isnt AMD branded but otherwise it is the same. im thinking i might reapply the TIM with what i have here but i only have enough for  one application so im inclined to wait on more information. 

is it possible it could be my PSU i notice the 12+ voltage reports low in the hardware manager. i was reading through similar threads and saw that it could be at least part of my problem 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

If the cooler is branded Cooler Master, it is only suitable for a CPU of 65W.

yes, the 12v rail is showing as to low and could also be a factor in the shut down, but, the reading may also be false and should be compared with reading from Speed Fan.

It is simpler to sort out the heat issue first as it is far to high.

Ferun

Ferun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

to test it out I opened the case and put a desk fan next to it pointed at the CPU and it doesn't make a lick of difference.  here is a screen of both CPUID and SpeedFan at the same time. 

HW monitor screen2.png

Edited by Ferun, 09 July 2014 - 09:46 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Speed Fan also shows a low 12v rail but first I would do a cleanup and reinstall the cooler and test again.

Ferun

Ferun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

ok, i will give it a try Tomorrow morning and get back to you with the results. thanks