Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have I been duped?

• Please log in to reply

Kodge

Kodge

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Was looking for a simple desktop for my kids to use. Don't know a whole lot about computers, but read about processors and graphics cards etc.

Kids are 6 and 8, don't need a lot. But Minecraft and other games are being talked about now, and I realised that low end computers don't have graphics cards that can handle this type of thing.

So when I found a refurbished one online (from a well known store) advertised as having an Intel HD Graphics 4600 card (and 4GB RAM, 1TB, Pentium G2030 dual core), plus 1 year warranty for what seemed a good price, I ordered it. Not great, but better than others I had seen for not much more. Should be handle some of the simpler games OK, I figured. 

It arrived, and I set it up today, checked specs, (Direct X diagnostic tool) and under Display it tells me:

Device name: Intel (R ) HD Graphics

Chip type: Intel (R ) HD Graphics Family

DAC Type:Internal

<<EDIT: Advertised as Lenovo H520>>

Looks to me as though this is not what I ordered or what was advertised. Am I right? Is there something else I should be checking? All other specs are as advertised, at least the ones I mentioned above. 

I'm contacting the store, but would like the opinion of those who know what they are talking about, because I don't really!

Cheers.

Edited by Kodge, 09 July 2014 - 07:57 PM.

Advertisements

Ferun

Ferun

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Im not a tech here but adding the brand and model of the computer you purchased will go a long way in getting a faster response from the Techs that do frequent the site. 

To me it sounds like you got what was advertised but the GPU is internal (meaning installed on the motherboard) and share the ram and some of the CPU from the mainboard.  an easy fix to that if the motherboard supports it would be to purchase a cheap video card and install it. 

Kodge

Kodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I realise it is an integrated graphics card, but is there a way to tell what type of card it is? I looked at benchmarks and reviews for a lot of these low-end graphics cards, and HD Graphics Family, HD Graphics 3000 and 4000 come out quite a bit lower than the Graphics 4600.  So I'd like to be sure that if I paid a bit more for a 4600, as opposed to say a 4000 or a Radeon 8240, there should be a way to check this, no?

Ferun

Ferun

• Pip
  • 9 posts

In your Device manager it should report the brand and model of your video card. 

to get there go to Start menu - right click on computer - manage - device manager ( its in the tree on the left of the window) - then select display adapters 

Kodge

Kodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks. Under display adapters and it shows Intel(R ) HD Graphics. Looking at this, the various tabs show Intel(R ) HD Graphics.  Scrolling through the Property option on the details tab gives loads more information - none of which means anything to me... Don't see any mention of HD Graphics 4600.

Edited by Kodge, 09 July 2014 - 08:44 PM.

Ferun

Ferun

• Pip
  • 9 posts

ok it might just be generic driver information. is there a video driver aplication insalled on the computer.  look under     Start menu -  > all programs - and look for Intel HD graphics.   Or possibly something by lenovo. often prebuilt computers come with proprietary software.  you might find more information that way.  only other thing i can think of is to look in the BIOS 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Please have a look at this page, did you get one of these? http://shop.lenovo.c...w&lang=en&bn=on

Kodge

Kodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

@iammykyl

No, it is a refurbished Lenovo H520 Desktop (not H520S, which appears to be a smaller, slimline version). Not on the store's site anymore.  Did find one on ebay with a HD Graphics 2500 card.

I see a H500 (Intel HD graphics) and a H530S (Intel Graphics 4400) on the Lenovo site - closest matches (in terms of numbers at least).

Tried in the BIOS - couldn't find anything more.

Any other options, given that I am not that familiar with all this?  There surely has to be a way find out what a system has in it - or would I have to dismantle or get into more technical stuff?  Otherwise for low-end items with integrated cards you'd never know what you actually have in your system.

Thanks for the suggestions, by the way.

Cheers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

you should be able to run the Intel "identify your product" tool to identify any Intel hardware in the system. just ran it on my system and it shows the integrated graphics correctly as Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Kodge

Kodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

OK, ran the ID product tool - result says I have "Intel® HD Graphics 2500 or Intel HD Graphics"

So looks as though it is not the 4600.

Thanks all for your time,

Kodge