Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1501 running VERY SLOW

Dell inspiron slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HERE is the download direct from the manufacturer.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Advertisements

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Downloaded speedfan as requested.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

but i doesn't seem to show the voltage that you wanted to see.

My laptop now running so slow that I have difficulty simply changing tabs in G/chrome, pages freeze and I have to wait for them to refresh before I can 'click' on anything and sometimes even typing lags behind.

screenshot attached

P.S. Just a question:

In reply #3 + #4 we looked at 'autorun'

there seemed to be an awful lot of processes running in there that I wasn't using at the time.

:-) Please bear in mind that I have no idea what/where they were actually doing .... :-)

Best Wishes

Pen

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot001.jpg

Edited by pen_nomad, 13 July 2014 - 01:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Excuse the interjection folks but if I may chime in while Ron is offline  :)

Pen,

You have AVG running as your AV protection and this is a hog on system resources which will slow down your computer on its own, you also have Ad-Aware as your firewall with Ad-Aware Service 11 shown to be running in Speccy, Ad-Aware 11 also offers AV protection (presently shown as being disabled) so what I suggest is that you uninstall AVG and use the protection offered by Ad-Aware 11 and see if the performance improves, AVG Removal Tool here if you have the paid for product make a note of the licence key number as this will allow you to reactivate it later should you wish, if you were to reactivate AVG I would uninstall the Ad-Aware software first and use Windows Defender/a Firewall only software.

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Tech

Will try that.

I have always used AVG and had no problems in the past, but have heard that it is 'heavy'.

I also have Adaware and spybot S&D.

My theory has been to use AVG as my main protection and have the other two turned off, just to turn them on once a week or so and do full scans and then turn them off again.... 

Although I 'trust' AVG, my laptop is  now so  slow that I am prepared to try almost anything....

If it were  not for the fact that I no longer have the original XP disc, and the fact  that I could not replace many of the programs that I use, I would have formatted the [bleep] thing by now  :smashcomp:  :smashcomp:  :smashcomp:

Do you think Adaware 11 is ''as good'' as AVG??

Best Wishes.

Pen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I used AVG for many years but it just got so bloated and lacklustre that I got rid of it, I then used Avast free up until the point that I upgraded my computers to Windows 8 and 8.1 which have an upgraded version of Windows Defender which offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

S&D is fine to run but no two real time protection AVs should ever be run alongside each other as they will conflict as they fight for system resources which can then leave you with no AV protection whatsoever.

Do you think Adaware 11 is ''as good'' as AVG??

An honest answer is that it couldn't be any worse but having not used it I cannot say if it is better than Avast free.

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Tech

Removed AVG and restart was Much faster  :yeah:

BUT:

Opening programs ect is still incredibly slow.

Attached is a screenshot of opening Google chrome, with nothing else running, after almost 2 minute wait......  :headscratch:

Any & All suggestions welcome....

Best Wishes

Pen

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot006.jpg

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Both

Does the Amount of programs that I have installed make any difference??

I know there are quite a lot, but I do find them useful .....

also: There seems to be programs on this list that I cant find to delete or that have already been deleted but I have no idea how to 'affect' this list.??  :headscratch:

Best Wishes

Pen

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot007.jpg

Edited by pen_nomad, 13 July 2014 - 06:01 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The amount of installed doesn't matter because your free space is more then adequate to support that.
Question is how much installed memory do you have installed and do you know know how much is free?
Do you have a lot running at one time?
Can you do the following to give me a better look at some things.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi R

Struggling a little.

Downloaded it, twice, and each time it gets to the end point of 'Launch now' this happens.....

will try again :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot010.jpg

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

3rd time

same again  :headscratch:

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot010.jpg

Advertisements

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

then this just carries on indefinitely, well, at least for the 5 mins that I waited, and the only way to stop it was the 3 fingered salute of task manager .. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot011.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you done Phills suggestions and is the system running any better?
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Re: your question about memory and programs.

Memory is 40% full.

I 'used' to be able to have half a dozen programs and a dozen browser tabs open with no problems, now 2 programs and 3 tabs seem to overload the system.

But even with nothing open, chrome or any other program still struggles to open to the point where the cursor 'thinking' symbol seems to get bored and the computer forgets what it is doing, dosen't open the  program and simply refreshes the desktop instead.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the TFC and lets see if that works.

pen_nomad

pen_nomad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok
done that and rebooted
from clicking the password to active desk was quicker, 3min 40sec.
To open chrome, until window active, a further 5min 30sec. (timed).

Edited by pen_nomad, 13 July 2014 - 07:36 AM.